Author Topic: A Note from Jason at Rapido  (Read 3864 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
A Note from Jason at Rapido
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:17 AM »
In Jason's latest e-bulletin (and if you don't receive it; subscribe on Rapido's web site - the damn thing is usually very funny !) he addressed Rapido's dirth of N scale releases.........

"We want more N scale!!!!

I mentioned earlier that the question we are asked second-most often is "when is The Canadian going to be ready?" The question we are asked most often is "are you doing that in N scale?" In fact, some of the emails we've received have been quite angry when there is no N scale news.

We have had four new N scale projects in the works for the last couple of years. But guess what happened? The economy collapsed. Though there are no official figures available, I would wager that the total sales of the model railroad industry in the United States is down by 50% or more. We've all had to roll with the punches. For example, in 2007 I vowed never to do another exclusive project, and now I embrace them as an alternative means of bringing goods to market. Why? You guessed it - the economy.

All of the projects we have announced in the last year or more were started back in 2008 and early 2009 before the full effect of the economic crisis was felt. Because sales are down, there is a list of several projects we have had to put on hold, and just by the luck of timing that list has a lot of N scale products in it.

So please rest assured that we do indeed have more N scale passenger cars planned, not to mention a well-known gas turbine powered high-speed train, but these projects (along with several HO scale ones) will have to wait a bit longer until things pick up before we can get serious about them. The money has to come from somewhere, and, despite my best wishes, I still do not have a sugar daddy..."

Whether you accept that or not; at least he's communicating.........

PS: The new coaches arrive this week; Road names:

Algoma Central
Canadian Pacific
Delaware and Hudson
Erie
Illinois Central
Louisville & Nashville
Ontario Northland

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:43:52 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

train1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: A Note from Jason at Rapido
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
Is that the 'n' scale Ontario Northland passenger set Pud ?

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
Interesting comment about sales potentially being down by up to 50%.

As I was going through my Model Railroader collection, tearing out interesting articles and recycling the rest, I took note of how thick with articles and ads the MR's were during the big recession of the late 70's & early 80's, when inflation was double digits and interest rates skyrocketed.  Not too mention the unemployment rate did creep past 10%. 

It certainly didn't appear from looking at MR, that the hobby took a beating during that recession.  If anything the issues were more robust than the ones during the mid 70's. 

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Michael,

I think is some areas, like Rockford, IL, I recall unemployment in 1980 as closer to 20% but I don't recall the national average.

I had heard estimates of 35% sales reductions, and 50% shocks me.  But, both numbers are estimates. A few years back, the MHIA put out wholesale sales figures surveys and MR was at $410 Million.  I cannot find a similar survey for this year, which makes me think its bad.

We talk about the slow decline of MRR, but I bet certain periods really accelerate the decline, like this one.  Besides money, house sizes are getting smaller for the first time, which also is a natural deterrant to our hobby.  Add in more kids staying at home until they are 30 and this may be a permanent dent in participation.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
Is that the 'n' scale Ontario Northland passenger set Pud ?

Yep; N scale coaches.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +170
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »

PS: The new coaches arrive this week; Road names:

Algoma Central
Canadian Pacific
Delaware and Hudson
Erie
Illinois Central
Louisville & Nashville
Ontario Northland

getting there!

New Schemes Coming Summer 2010 - Reserve Today!

* Algoma Central
        * Canadian Pacific

* Central of Georgia
        * Chesapeake & Ohio

* Delaware & Hudson
        * Erie

* Grand Trunk Western
        * Illinois Central
        * Lackawanna
        * Louisville & Nashville
        * Milwaukee Road (UP colors)
        * Missouri Pacific
        * Norfolk & Western

* Ontario Northland

http://www.rapidotrains.com/pan1.html

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »
Is that 50% Canadian or 50% American?  ;D
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
HO is getting a special run of CN PSC vans by Rapido, sponsored by Canadian Model Trains. As this is not a Rapido product, I doubt it'll ever come to N. They're doing the Turbo in N which is nice, but no mention of the CP EV vans in N. Sigh. There is a limit to how many passenger cars I'll need, but without an new VIA or CN noodle on the horizon, there is nothing of interest in the pipeline for me.

Sure would like to see some leg-rest coaches and a few of the other HO smoothside cars come to N (pretty sure the leg-rest is) to round out my VIA fleet. CDN and LRC would be nice, too. For the vans, I've started collecting Athabasca kits... tired of waiting for a crumb.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »
The other thing that could be happening beside the economy is Boomers are reaching retirement and re-looking at what they want to do?  A friend of mine coined the phrase "Full Basement Syndrome" to describe his declining ability to buying yet more train stuff.  I for one have become a lot more focused on what I need verses just buying what has been released.  That said I would like some of those Rapido baggage cars in N-Scale. --Brian

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
I tend to agree with that statement based on what I "buy" now. I'm more specific with my purchases, and I know that I now spend at least 50% less than a few years back.

Needs and money :o
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »
Sure would like to see some leg-rest coaches and a few of the other HO smoothside cars come to N (pretty sure the leg-rest is) to round out my VIA fleet.

Well Mike; if I start to build my Athabaska brass side kits for Daynighters then Rapido will deliver them in N scale within a month..... ;D

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Well Mike; if I start to build my Athabaska brass side kits for Daynighters then Rapido will deliver them in N scale within a month..... ;D

I know... same thing will happen with the vans. But my modeling has been on a holding pattern for so long I'm going to have to read the instructions for rail joiners, so folding, painting and decaling some brass will be a good learning experience.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
To some extant, it becomes a situation where the more expensive the product, the bigger the drop off in sales. Based on Rapido's pricing, which is fair considering the quality of the product, they are gonna have a larger drop in sales than somebody with lower priced cars....not too mention cars that appeal to a larger N scale audience. Like boxcars that show up everywhere or Pullman cars.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +170
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
Word is that the ones in red (in my post above) are "on the water" as I type ... ;D

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
Word is that the ones in red (in my post above) are "on the water" as I type ... ;D

Really!?!?! I get some N&W cars?!?! Gee Willikers! Finally something to put behind the 611!

The S.