Author Topic: Poultry cars  (Read 9293 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11878
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 06:47:57 AM »
0
Yes, those photos prove that the Roco tank is a bit on the large side.  Maybe we could convince  one of the 3D modelers on TRW to render a more prototypical one on their Photon?

Proof would be someone digging up that March 1955 MR issue.  :trollface: (or a photo of the Hinckley car)


thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
0
Given that the car is more or less 57 scale feet, it strikes me as probable that either (A) Roco had a 57' flatcar in the works for one or another of the US importers and built the tank to fit that, or (B) they were provided with photos captioned "Heinz 57 vinegar car" and took the "57" to be "57 feet".  or (C) they started with a grainy photo of the largest double tank version of the car, and did not realize it had 2 tanks.

The diameter of the tank would be pretty large, given that the construction (see the caption in this link) used staves 4 inches thick.  And as early as 1894, Heinz built one that was over 9000 gallons.

MRC, Dec 2000 has plans for the one that is at the Mid Continent Railway Museum (scroll through the photos using previous and next to see other views of the car before the red paint job).
https://www.midcontinent.org/equipment-roster/wooden-freight-cars/richter-vinegar-11/richter-vinegar-car-june-1973-jeff-haertlein-photo-2/

Unfortunately, I don't have a Dec 2000 MRC in my collection (or at least, not in the correct box in my collection), but that would be easier to acquire, and for a car that still exists and could be measured, and the museum no doubt has more info on, for someone who might want to model and/or manufacture a kit.

Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11878
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 10:58:00 AM »
0
There are many different prototypes for the vinegar cars, and according to the A1G site - the prototype for the Roco car wasn't even a vinegar car.

That thing is 57' long? :o I'll have to dig that car up and take a look when at home. It does sound like the toolers took some "liberties", as George wrote on the A1G page "in fact the "cradle" is open between supports, unlike the solid construction on the A1G and later cars".

Still, would love to see a photo of the actual prototype, which I assume is in the March 1955 Model Railroader issue that is cited as the prototype.

Maybe I'll try signing up for the free 24 hour free trial access to the digital archive: https://mrr.trains.com/archiveaccess

Mark


sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
0
I have the MR disks but evidently I cannot make them work...

edit.

I got the MR app working. March 1955 "dollar car" Has a 7'7" dia. tank, ( 10' on the Roco car)  38 Ft. long tank (48' on the Roco car) 10,500 gallon. The overall length of the Roco car is 50'.

 So yeah, I'd like in addition to a poultry car or two, some better representations of a vinegar tank as well.

 I was told that N Scale Architect had some more car projects planned but I do not know what they are. I think a vinegar tank would be a good fit for their Patterson's pickle lineup.





Randy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:25:46 AM by sd45elect2000 »

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 08:17:30 AM »
0
If you want a real challenge, get yourself a Remington or Wabash Valley kit car  :)





-Mark

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11878
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
0
I got the MR app working. March 1955 "dollar car" Has a 7'7" dia. tank, ( 10' on the Roco car)  38 Ft. long tank (48' on the Roco car) 10,500 gallon. The overall length of the Roco car is 50'.

Randy

Thanks a million! Suspicions confirmed. :facepalm:

Did it have a photo?

Mark


sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 08:29:07 AM »
0
If you want a real challenge, get yourself a Remington or Wabash Valley kit car  :)





-Mark

Hi Mark,

I have seen these in catalogs back in the old days and I've looked at them on your site but they are not easy to find. I don't want a fleet of them but one or two would be very cool !

 I think I am up to the challenge having built LaBelle and Ambroid HO scale cars in another life.

Randy

sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »
0
Thanks a million! Suspicions confirmed. :facepalm:

Did it have a photo?

Mark

There were some nice photo's , it is obvious that the car is much smaller. In order to post the photo's I think I would need to print and then scan them. I do not currently have a working printer..

Since prototype car is 10,500 gal, the tank should be a tad smaller then the Atlas 11,000 gal tank.

Randy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:34:53 AM by sd45elect2000 »

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
0
You don't.  Any current Microsoft Windows version included a Snipping Tool which captures image on the computer screen. So have the magazine viewer on the page with the picture (or drawing) you want to capture, then just open the Start menu (or whatever  it is called) then type "snipping".  Should bring up the Snipping Tool app.  Snipping Window will appear and the entire screen will look a bit washed out.Drag the mouse  around the area you want to capture (snipping window will hide as you drag.

When you finish dragging, the snipping tool will show up with the image you just captured.  In there select File->Save As->JPG and select where you want to save it and the name of the file.  Then if you want to capture another screen, go to the magazine viewer and bring up the next page. In the snipping tool select "New" and repeat the process.

No printer needed.  Then upload the images you captured to TRW.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1356
  • Respect: +362
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
0
You don't.  Any current Microsoft Windows version included a Snipping Tool which captures image on the computer screen. So have the magazine viewer on the page with the picture (or drawing) you want to capture, then just open the Start menu (or whatever  it is called) then type "snipping".  Should bring up the Snipping Tool app.  Snipping Window will appear and the entire screen will look a bit washed out.Drag the mouse  around the area you want to capture (snipping window will hide as you drag.

When you finish dragging, the snipping tool will show up with the image you just captured.  In there select File->Save As->JPG and select where you want to save it and the name of the file.  Then if you want to capture another screen, go to the magazine viewer and bring up the next page. In the snipping tool select "New" and repeat the process.

No printer needed.  Then upload the images you captured to TRW.

And it also can be accomplished with the "print screen" button, and the "captured" screen shot pasted into Microsoft Paint.  Once the image is in Paint, you just select what you want and crop.  The rest of the process is the same as what Peter described.   ;)
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
0



If it works I'm calling my kids...

Edit: Evidently it worked, here is the photo that accompanied the article in the March 1955 Model Railroader.

Article by Eric Stevens.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:05:58 AM by sd45elect2000 »

sd45elect2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1110
  • Respect: +453
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »
0



I want to add a poultry car to this shelf !



thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »
0
That thing is 57' long? :o I'll have to dig that car up and take a look when at home. It does sound like the toolers took some "liberties", as George wrote on the A1G page "in fact the "cradle" is open between supports, unlike the solid construction on the A1G and later cars".

Mark
I dug mine out and measured and 50' floor length of the flatcar portion is what I get on the one I just dug out (to confirm a couple other postings above). I was using the "57' " listing on Spookshow's site and a couple old eBay listings.  I get 46 more or less for the length of the tank.  About 56' coupled with the original couplers.

You could almost replace the trucks with TT trucks and market it as 1:120 scale.
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 12:18:15 AM »
0
Tom:  That's what I was thinking last night.  The tank, at least, should be very close, and a wider flatcar, if desired, wouldn't be hard to build.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
0
I am thinking about putting my vinegar car up for sale on eBay.  I figure that within 15 minutes after it sells for $3, someone will post a photo and plans for a prototype vinegar car with a 46' tank on a 50' flatcar.

I've noticed a lot of these on eBay the last few days, I wonder someone has been inspired to part with their 50 car vinegar unit train.... in hopes of more accurate models becoming available.
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.