Author Topic: Poultry cars  (Read 9291 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Poultry cars
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »
0
In sating my curiousity on what a two deck stock car loading chute was designed like, I ran across this car:



It's a poultry car, and of seemingly early 20th century design. I've never seen or heard of such a thing, Does anyone know about the car type's history and what roads ran them and when?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
0
I know the PRR had this type of car early in the 20th century.  Double deck stock cars were mostly used to haul hogs.  Wouldn't want to stand beside a train of these.  Would probably make the trash trains small like lilacs.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
0
That's an interesting car... never seen anything like it before. I guess they had to haul them somehow.

Bob, still not as bad as a gon load of fleshings on a hot summers day  :-X

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
0
a friend of mine took this HO shot @ the Severna Park Model RR Club this spring
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110578280034&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

it was an HO kit from back in the day



you may wanna check out his other albums
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
0
On more than one occasion I've gotten to follow one of the modern 18-wheel counterparts of that car...

Like graffiti, it's a part of the railroading scene that I'd just as soon not model...  Voof!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
0
In sating my curiousity on what a two deck stock car loading chute was designed like, I ran across this car:



It's a poultry car, and of seemingly early 20th century design. I've never seen or heard of such a thing, Does anyone know about the car type's history and what roads ran them and when?

You're just in the wrong scale . http://toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=poultry+car&_sacat=479&LH_Time=901..168&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_odkw=brass&_osacat=19119&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313


Richie Dost

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:13 PM »
0
Just so we're all on the same page, the car pictured (the one I am asking about) is a poultry car - used to haul chickens, turkeys, etc. It's not a stock car that's used to haul pigs, sheep, cattle or horses. While I imagine poultry can smell, I somehow feel we've lost sight of the topic.

Eric, the pic was for a N scale REA boxcar on eBay. I'm a little confused.

Richie's reference to the Lionel cars made me look harder at the photo and I think I can make out the word "Palace" above the interior wheel of the left-hand truck and "Poultry" just below the door, toward its left. Palace Poultry? Again, I appease the group for some facts. It seems rather Monty Pythonish to base knowledge of the proto on Lionel models.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:31:13 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
0
Just so we're all on the same page, the car pictured (the one I am asking about) is a poultry car - used to haul chickens, turkeys, etc. It's not a stock car that's used to haul pigs, sheep, cattle or horses. While I imagine poultry can smell, I somehow feel we've lost sight of the topic.

And Eric, the pic was for a N scale REA boxcar on eBay. I'm a little confused.

Yes , there may have been a brass kit for one in N years ago . Every so often it pops up on eBay IIRC .


Richie Dost

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
0
Just so we're all on the same page, the car pictured (the one I am asking about) is a poultry car - used to haul chickens, turkeys, etc. It's not a stock car that's used to haul pigs, sheep, cattle or horses. While I imagine poultry can smell, I somehow feel we've lost sight of the topic.

And Eric, the pic was for a N scale REA boxcar on eBay. I'm a little confused.

Yes , there may have been a brass kit for one in N years ago . Every so often it pops up on eBay IIRC .

There was indeed a brass kit. I have one. Unfortunately I don't have information on who made it or when.

Darkelf

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 53
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
0
The N Scale kit was made by American in Brass.  I have one un-built, but am not home.  I started to talk with Bob at TrainCat about it, but I never followed up. ::)

I will try to post more info about it later tonight..

--Greg
Aloha,
  --Greg

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
0
The N Scale kit was made by American in Brass.  I have one un-built,

here's another unbuilt one!

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/freight/anbpoultry.html

Mark


TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:23:13 PM »
0
The N Scale kit was made by American in Brass.  I have one un-built, but am not home.  I started to talk with Bob at TrainCat about it, but I never followed up. ::)

I will try to post more info about it later tonight..

--Greg
Still Absolute #2 on my want To Do list (UP DC-10 Wing Gondola's are still #1).

There are two ANB-101 unbuilt kits on FeeBay now. Current price is $59.99. WAY too overpriced.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350385149241

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

FrankCampagna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 999
  • Respect: 0
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
0
Still Absolute #2 on my want To Do list (UP DC-10 Wing Gondola's are still #1).

There are two ANB-101 unbuilt kits on FeeBay now. Current price is $59.99. WAY too overpriced.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350385149241



Come now, you can't put a price on the classics  ::) .

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
0

Eric, the pic was for a N scale REA boxcar on eBay. I'm a little confused.



crap...
just got a new mac book and i am used to hitting ctrl V instead of command V when pasting...

here's the linkaroo
http://picasaweb.google.com/100568173689956543051/LayoutTourChesapeakeDivisionNMRASevernaParkModelRRClubSLayout#5475758956765900610

be sure to check out his other albums
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Darkelf

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 53
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Poultry cars
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »
0
Bob - I agree - $60 is steep - I paid a fraction of that...  Of course, mine has the base partially built...  Anyway, PM me - I would be willing to continue our conversation about this car - I would like to help, and see it - or something similar - in production again!!

Regards,
--Greg
Aloha,
  --Greg