Author Topic: Interesting scratch built building  (Read 1715 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +545
Interesting scratch built building
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +780
Re: Interesting scratch built building
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »
Sign frames would have disguised the scissor clipped signs  . I have no knowledge of the 50's decade sex shops , or if there was such a thing back then . Anybody know ?

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
Um, the Block.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
Sign frames would have disguised the scissor clipped signs  . I have no knowledge of the 50's decade sex shops , or if there was such a thing back then . Anybody know ?

Those was usually in unremarkable plain stores without the fanfare like you see with today's Adult Store..There would be a small sign on the door that read "Adult Store"..Must be 21 to enter.

The 50s was still in the high moral standards era-remember how they wouldn't show Elvis's hips on TV and rock and roll was considered immoral and unfit to listen to?
Larry

Summerset Ry.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

Those was usually in unremarkable plain stores without the fanfare like you see with today's Adult Store..There would be a small sign on the door that read "Adult Store"..Must be 21 to enter.

The 50s was still in the high moral standards era-remember how they wouldn't show Elvis's hips on TV and rock and roll was considered immoral and unfit to listen to?

Yes I do , I think it was Ed Sullivan who censored his hip shots . Thanks , hatched in '46 I was old enough but I guess thats why I don't remember seeing any , the were the store equivalent of a plain paper bag .

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »

I was just watching "Something Wierd" on Comcast and they had a show on the 1950s sex scene in LA - quite interesting. The area was teaming with public and "private" sex clubs and tons of stripper show places.
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »

I was just watching "Something Wierd" on Comcast and they had a show on the 1950s sex scene in LA - quite interesting. The area was teaming with public and "private" sex clubs and tons of stripper show places.

Cool , I can be as sleazy as the modern eras .

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
The movie "The Big Sleep" is actually about such a store, you'd never know it though, I found out by reading the book. It's set in the 1940's.
I’m not here to argue

Subwayaz

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:02:47 AM »
I liked the idea and design.  You might find that type of building housing that type of business in a Larger Eastern City somewhere.  Cool

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
Wow. Just. Wow.

The S.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
Somebody actually bid $32 for that.
P. T. Barnum was right.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Somebody actually bid $32 for that.
P. T. Barnum was right.

Hey, sex sells.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:53 AM »
Now that's funny. Even funnier that it is in Ohio.