Author Topic: A place at the table? Or just the crumbs?  (Read 4563 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: A place at the table? Or just the crumbs?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
Could that be, Frank, because it is too expensive?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 11:11:21 PM »
A $10 DPM building that's built up with a few dollars worth of details sells for $59.99
A 30 year old caboose is re-released with no substantial improvement and sells for $24.99
A 40 year old Heljan kit is re-released with no substantial improvement, and sells for $60 - 90.

Yeah, these are real bargains.

Especially when placed in the context of competing products that offer big upgrades often at a lower list price than Walthers.

But that's not the point of this thread.  The point is that they're finally providing some N scale specific marketing.  Maybe it's not the finish line, but it looks at least like they finally found the keys to the car...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 10:50:45 AM »
I would disagree Lee. Sure, they're offering N scale specific advertising, but marketing, contrary to popular understanding, is much more than just advertising. In the modern world marketing also includes product choice and design, pricing, distribution, and after-sales customer service. A considerable effort of modern marketing is made to develop brand loyalty to defray the cost of future marketing.

Let's take pricing. A manufacturer can either sell his product at a lower price to a larger audience that can afford it, for X return on investment, or the manufacturer can sell his product at a higher price to a more affluent but smaller size market for the same ROI. It's a conscious choice marketers make, if they're worth their salt professionally. Or... a manufacturer can either design a product that has the features the prospective buyer wants, which helps the product sell itself, or the manufacturer can ignore market wants and then he has to work harder on the back end (sales) to move his product.

Sure, as a distributor Walthers is finally using technology to an advantage and getting the advertising thing under control, but as a manufacturer in N scale they're sorely missing a number of points. I think one of the most frustrating points for modelers is the product development part, where modelers have some pretty strong opinions about what should be industry standards and when a manufacturer ignores that want, the criticism starts but, funnily, it never makes it to the manufacturer. Obvious input on product development is deflected as criticism.

One thing I have noticed in model railroading, and this may go to the personality types that are attracted to the hobby, but critics aren't really good at criticizing and manufacturers aren't receptive to criticism. This is a very small hobby where that 6 degrees is pretty small, more like 2 or 3. I've noticed manufacturers aren't openly responsive to criticism. I say 'open' for a reason. Sure, manufacturers seem to accept criticism from those closest to them, their 'friends', but allowing only input from those close to you only serves to soften the criticism, not the blow of criticism. Wally isn't opening the gates and asking for input.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.