Author Topic: Will Athearn announce a new loco this year?  (Read 4435 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Will Athearn announce a new loco this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
They may announce something new this year, but not for delivery until later in 2011. The fact is, while SK was not the major facility for Athearn, they did several things that will affect us thru the reast of this year. One is a delay in delivery's for HO RTR loco's, second is a fair amount of N scale models. The problem is in scrambling to get lined up with an additional manufacturer. They may have to make a choice in what get's done in the short term (6-8 months) and they will choose HO scale equipment in a pinch until more production time opens for them. Athearn Genesis Loco's were not done at SK and I don't think N scale loco's were either, but if they may have move production schedules around.........

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Are those 89 foot flats enough different from others coming to waste a wish on those? ;)

Why are we in such a rush for a new Athearn loco?  Are we running short of things to bash endlessly?

Seriously between the economy, the problems in China, etc., I think we need to get a handle on this from the mfgs POV.  It doesn't strike me as the ideal time to ramp up production, especially for either high end steam or offbeat locos like the FP45 which would naturally have lower sales than a more mainstream model. 

But, the slam dunks have all been released, no?  I would call Gensets and other locos potential slam dunks, but they don't extend over all roads or modeling eras, and thus, have inherently lower sales potential.  To invest in any new tooling for an era or road specific loco, or one that has been done already by others and would be an "upgrade" would be risky, at least to me.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:10 AM »
Aren't they supposed to be hashing out the FEF4 for N scale?

The S.

FEF-3 , 3 was the highest FEF .

Richie Dost

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
Seriously between the economy, the problems in China, etc., I think we need to get a handle on this from the mfgs POV.  It doesn't strike me as the ideal time to ramp up production, especially for either high end steam or offbeat locos like the FP45 which would naturally have lower sales than a more mainstream model. 

But, the slam dunks have all been released, no?  I would call Gensets and other locos potential slam dunks, but they don't extend over all roads or modeling eras, and thus, have inherently lower sales potential.  To invest in any new tooling for an era or road specific loco, or one that has been done already by others and would be an "upgrade" would be risky, at least to me.

Talking about slam dunks, John from Athearn said the n-scale Big Boy and Challengers were a huge hit for them and most resellers are long sold out. I could see Athearn taking a risk on something that would be very popular but beyond that who knows right now.

- j

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
I just can't see how huge steamers with appeal to only fans of a few selected roads and carrying a large price tag are a slam dunk. I see Athearn big steam on sale at numerous LHS because their appeal and price tag is limited (Granted; I'm in Canada)

Slam Dunk  ? - I can think of a few other units; all of which we've talked about for years that would qualify as a slam dunk over another monster steamer - Alco Switchers; a good Mike (Kato's is rare and not being re-offered) a more modern ten wheeler than Bachmann is planning; how about a good Hudson; heck, how about a whole line of Hudsons (read "Royal"...) what about an SD 45's (Again; Kato is not stepping up as their last release was critiqued for being too limited) and many other units.....

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:24:21 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
I'd have to say that the lack of an all new tooled, DCCable, S series Alco switcher is beyond comprehension. The only reasonable conclusion is that mfg's are not interested in a model that the can release multiple times that'll just keep selling. WTF was with the VO1000?

A pair of S-2's or S-4's would look great drilling stone hoppers at the quarry.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Are those 89 foot flats enough different from others coming to waste a wish on those? ;)

Like it ever really mattered.

Quote from: typical Athearn HO elitist response
Thank-you for your inquiry. Please note that we have not announced thatwe will be producing these cars in N-scale nor do we have any plans tooffer them in N-scale at this time.

Jason

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

Like it ever really mattered.

Quote from: typical Athearn HO elitist response
Thank-you for your inquiry. Please note that we have not announced thatwe will be producing these cars in N-scale nor do we have any plans tooffer them in N-scale at this time.

Jason

Sounds like the response I received from Intermountain regarding the possibility of the tank hopper coming to N. Yet they do the SD40-2W in N... I'm confused.

Subwayaz

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »
Well in HO they are coming out with two new locos this year late.  The GP 7 and the U 50.  Got me excited

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »
Well in HO they are coming out with two new locos this year late.  The GP 7 and the U 50.  Got me excited

Don't forget the GP15-1
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Will Athearn announce a new loco this year? "Naw !"
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 01:02:29 AM »
   Will Athearn .......?  "Naw !" Maybe next year, who knows who cares.                                                Nate Goodman (Nato).

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
They did not on their facebook page that they "have a surprise up their sleave".

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
They did not on their facebook page that they "have a surprise up their sleave".

Huh?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.