Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/22/2010  (Read 8198 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2883
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
0
Cool movie and signage Dave .


Richie Dost

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 11:28:48 PM »
0
Since I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want my layout to look like, I went ahead and started on a small 4' section to use for photography and then blend it in when I get something I actually want to own.

All the structures sans the brick structure to the far right are scratch laser cut...still in the works.  I went ahead and dug a bunch of stuff out of the projects box and was able to get enough to start working on.  The depot is an extended SP Type 22 that was in Lemon Cove Ca and the produce shed is a flat of the Sunkist Orange Packing House in Riverside.  The dark brown packing shed is a hodge podge of stuff.  Tanks will be a Smudge Oil depot at the end of the spur the station is on.  The engines and cars are a mix of MTL, Athearn, Atlas and Model Power.  Lots more to do, but it felt good getting this part out of my system.  Buildings in the front are field worker's shacks and the orange trees are foam castings awaiting color and a trunk.




Joe
MTL

in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
0
Not sure if I posted this or not, but here is an SP Coal dump that will go someplace. All laser cut and based on Standards and Practices booklet I aquired.

Joe
MTL
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »
0
Mr. Smith, your ability to work wonders in Z scale and below continues to amaze me. Especially since I spend a lot of time with HO modelers, who often complain about how their stuff is too small and fiddly for detail work... :)

It's a lousy picture, and not much accomplished, but I'm finally back to work on my Kankakee River bridge module:



The new bit is the sloped retaining wall down to the river, which is just resting in place at this point, not attached. Here's a view of the actual scene:



The width of the concrete panels isn't right (mine are too narrow), but frankly I'm not in the mood to re-do them, so I'll live with it. At least it's on the back side of the module.

Here's more of an overhead shot (and a bit more in focus):


Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »
0




What did you use for the arched bridge spans?
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2099
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
0
took a tour of a local baltimore model rr company (CMR) on Saturday (located about 5 minutes from Ed's place of employment).  Did some fleet maintenance Sunday.
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9027
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
0
As always - Great work Gentlemen.

I got off the plane yesterday from the hot, oily bayous of my home, went into the train room, threw up my hands, and had a beer.  Once I get unpacked, and tear out a coupel dozen honey-do's that piled up while I was gone, I'll be back at it.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11599
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
0
took a tour of a local baltimore model rr company (CMR) on Saturday (located about 5 minutes from Ed's place of employment).  Did some fleet maintenance Sunday.

How was it? I really wanted to see it, but was in the car on the way home from NC.

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
0
Probably shouldn't post this with the N-scalers foaming at the mouth for a SW1500






Okay, so it's not actually an SW15... Only switcher in my roster. probably gonna get another one, ballast them like crazy (I know to make sure the wheels spin if it doesn't move) and add sound to one. I would like to light the becaon but I don't think it's really possible since it's on the little brow on the front of the cab.

Richie, nice job on the 0-6-0 conversion! Even if it is Uncle Pete (closet SP fan)
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
0
(2 pictures omitted)

What did you use for the arched bridge spans?

There's a thread on the initial construction here: http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=12358.0 . Basically, the main arches are MDF sides with a styrofoam core:



The sub-arches are styrene inserts:



Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2883
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
0
Thanks Packer .


Richie Dost

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
0
Packer, can be done with fiber optics.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 09:13:38 PM »
0
Went to Chicago .. saw Braves destroy Cubs, went to museum, went to Navy Pier .. son had wallet stolen on the CTA .. pretty uneventful weekend for me

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2099
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
0
took a tour of a local Baltimore model rr company (CMR) on Saturday (located about 5 minutes from Ed's place of employment).  Did some fleet maintenance Sunday.

How was it? I really wanted to see it, but was in the car on the way home from NC.

it was a good time... 6 of us all together, so it was just the right amount.  It was fun to see the different phases of layouts in construction.  It is real convenient to have a fully functional woodshop for a neighbor, that is for sure.  Some great work of art of course, and a sneak peak at new HO models.  I did pick up one tidbit of info regarding forthcoming N scale models.  On the whole, it is relatively easy to compress from HO to N (obviously) however at some point the detail they strive for become TOO small and then that makes the models difficult to scale down.  The answer is molded castings of course, however there is also the cost associated with such projects and the age old discussion of resource allocation.

The Japanese themed layout they are working on (check out their website) was great!  I am hoping to catch up with the client (we have a mutual friend) in a few months to see the final installation.  Apparently the entire scene of Tokyo lights up.  Should be awesome!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/2010
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »
0
I have a motorcar run up Crawford Notch on the former Maine Central Mountain Division on Sept 12 so we have been working double time at the shop to get the A6 running for it. Since the new cab will not be started by that point she will run as a "picnic table" so everyone will have to bundle up!

I got it running on Thursday, installing a new battery, coil, fuel bowl and filter. New floor has been finished and shes ready for some test runs tomorrow and Thursday. Looking to put 150 miles on her before the Notch run to make sure shes ready.

Heres a quick vid of it running. Its a bit loud as we have not got the exhaust on it yet, so its just straight headers. It has a 1974 Ford 300 straight 6.....170hp.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1