Author Topic: WM for Lee  (Read 1850 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
WM for Lee
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
Lee,

Did you know about this wooden snowplow?

Apparently it's owned by Strasburg now?

Just a head's up. You probably already know. Maybe Steve will scratchbuild one?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1132
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: WM for Lee
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
It looks like something from WM antiquity...  My scope is more targeted to the later years.  That's a neat catch... thanks!  I know that there are a couple of old WM coaches on the Strasburg.  Steel coach 836 was recently retrieved from there and is now in Belington on the West Virginia Central where it's being refurbished and fitted out for excursion service there.  I've seen some interesting photos of it being transported there on the Interstate!

Lee
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:27:23 PM by wm3798 »
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
The more I look at the two pics, the more I don't think they're one in the same. The WM car's portholes are closer together and has an open platform, and the skirting is different between the two. The latter two could simply be cosmetic changes over the years, but the portholes?

I do like the fact that the B&W gives you a good peak at the 'plow' mounted to the front of the rear truck. Never seen a truck mounted apparatus like that? Comes to think of it, that installation looks different on the two too. Hmmm...

Neat lookin' thing all the same.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1985
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
I agree, I don't think they're the same car.

That plow, by the way, got a workout this year:

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Nice video Ed. Maybe the plows were separated at birth. The taper at the mid-point of the car side and the woodwork directly behind the plow in that area are spot on, as is the cupola. That rig on the rear truck still gets me. I wonder when MT will start making those?  ;D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1132
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
With it being a wooden car, it's quite possible that the body could have been rebuilt to longer dimensions.  The hardware all seems to be the same, with a few minor changes in detail.  I'd have to imagine that a car like this would be beat to death, and a rebuild could have resulted in the changes...

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
they are not the same car.  Strasburg #66 is former ex-WA&G, exx-Buffalo & Susquehanna Blt. 1902.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:39 AM »
The apparatus in front of the truck is the flanger. They  drop it down in between
the rails to clear the snow from the the flange ways.

Jon

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:33 AM »
I knew it was a flanger (just couldn't remember the term) but I had never seen one directly mounted on the truck, as with the WM car. Then again, I had never seen spoked wheels on anything other than a locomotive until I saw the photo of the WM unit either.

Steve, who constructed the WA&G car? IMO, it's obvious these two cars are from the same lineage. The lines of the design and details point to that fact.

asciibaron

• Crew
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
the Russell Snow Plow Company near St. Mary's PA built many wedge plows, including the WM one pictured.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Kiasutha

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
the Russell Snow Plow Company near St. Mary's PA built many wedge plows, including the WM one pictured.

For what it's worth,it was in Ridgway PA.
It's on US-219,the old "Pennsy",and BR&P/B&O.(all B&P now)
My Mom's home-town...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1623
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »

The Strasburg RR snowplow appears to be built by Russell, too, as you can clearly see on the side of the plow at 6:27 in Ed's video.

By the way, when I first saw the WM and SRR plows in the pictures in Bryan's intial post of this thread yesterday, what made me question whether it was the same plow, in addition to the end platform and portholes differing, was the brakewheel looking thing and the smokestack on top, which are not in the same place on the two plows.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer