Author Topic: Online resource for era/timeline questions...  (Read 3247 times)

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
Online resource for era/timeline questions...
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
Hi Guys,

We just added a new section to our website with a timeline of important railroad developments since 1945. I originally put this information together for a clinic several years ago and have been adding to it for my own reference ever since. With the recent threads on when reflective striping first appeared and what to look for in modeling the mid-50s, I thought it would be a good idea to put this timeline online.

If you go to our site, www.bluford-shops.com, on the column of links on the left edge, click on "Timeline Resource Page" and it will take you right there.

If you have an idea for something that you think should be added, let me know that (particularly with the year it happened.) I can add them as time and space permit.

Enjoy,

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1991
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Online resource for era/timeline questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Craig, that's a brilliant idea!

Thanks for putting that together and, more importantly, sharing it.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
I have a question, actually.

There were two notes on there about F units. 1 that nose ladder grabs became mandatory, and 2 that they were banned from leading.

What's the story there?

Bluford Craig

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
I have a question, actually.

There were two notes on there about F units. 1 that nose ladder grabs became mandatory, and 2 that they were banned from leading.

What's the story there?

Most cab units were delivered without an easy way to access the outside of the windshield and service personel either took a risk scrambling up there or just never bothered to clean the windshield. Neither was satisfactory so the FRA mandated ladders/grabs/etc placed in such a way that you can get up there.

I can't for the life of me remember where I came across the "FRA ban on cab units as road switcher leads" date but given that I model Clinchfield in the 70s, I added that little nugget to the list right away. It makes a great deal of sense because you can't really see well behind you in a cab unit so if you were going to be out switching sidings and spurs on the road, operating from a hood unit would be much safer for the crew on the ground.

Craig

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +517
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
Wow, how much info do you want?

1953 NP introduces the large 48" herald.
1969 NP introduces 'BN' green paint to rolling stock.

Jason

Bluford Craig

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Wow, how much info do you want?

1953 NP introduces the large 48" herald.
1969 NP introduces 'BN' green paint to rolling stock.

Jason

I thought I had the 1969 one there already, I'll have to check that. I've now made a note about 1953. When did NP add "RAILWAY" to the logo? I know for a time, it just said NORTHERN PACIFIC in the ring around the monad.

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

JDouglasFisher

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Re: F-Unit Ban

This got me thinking, CNW, BN, Soo Line and MILW, were running F-units into the late 70s. There are many photos of BN units as leaders.

Did the ban only apply to trains which performed switching services between terminals, versus trains that ran straight through?

Also, I emailed the FRA requesting further information on when the Ban was issued, when it went into effect, and what exactly was "banned".

Never knew this, very interesting.

Joe.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Both BN and Soo Line used F units on local freights well into the 1970's...  ???

I can't for the life of me remember where I came across the "FRA ban on cab units as road switcher leads" date but given that I model Clinchfield in the 70s, I added that little nugget to the list right away. It makes a great deal of sense because you can't really see well behind you in a cab unit so if you were going to be out switching sidings and spurs on the road, operating from a hood unit would be much safer for the crew on the ground.
Craig

Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +517
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
The CNW didn't start "employee owned' until '72.

F units at the lead '78.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1738323

Jason
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:59:30 PM by wcfn100 »

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
Thanks for providing this info!

Bluford Craig

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
The CNW didn't start "employee owned' until '72.

F units at the lead '78.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1738323

Jason

Yeah I had that down as 1972 on the clinic master. We'll call that a "drag and drop" error :P I'll fix that tomorrow.

My understanding of the cab unit rule was that there was no issue with through freights, just those switching along the line. For instance, Clinchfield (always my favorite example) was using A-B-B-A F's to run from Dante to the N&W interchange at Boody Yard and back. But, trains like the Marion Shifter or all the mine runs on the north end, after 1974 the F's are always at the back or buried in the middle of the consist. So regarding the the C&NW pic, is that a local or a through freight? I suppose it would depend on which the FRA defined it as.  It'll be interesting to see what the FRA says (hopefully) about this. I'm certainly not averse to changing the timeline if need be.

And by all means, if anyone else has any corrections, keep em coming!

Craig

www.bluford-shops.com

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
Not sure if this is the right way to word this, but it could be added to 1969...

NP introduces Centerbeam bulkhead flatcar design.

I'm a little hazy on the design concept and maybe someone could fill in here, but I vaguely remember CN using the design or something very similar either simultaneously or a year or two before. So maybe a safer wording would be...

NP introduces Centerbeam bulkhead flatcar design to US rails.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »
You also missed CR being created, April 1st 76.

Also, in regard to the NP centerbeam info. Id rather know when the 70' cars became common than when the first small group of cars were made.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +690
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:35 AM »
Great of you sharing this , thanks .

Kev1340

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 03:33:36 AM »
Great resource Craig, thanks for making it available.

A couple of additions:

1993 - Wisconsin Central aquired Fox River Valley RR and the Green Bay and Western RR.

1995 - Wisconsin Central purchased Algoma Central

1999 - you list WC and AC as merging into CN, but in reality, AC had disappeared in the 1995 purchase by WC.

Cheers,

Kev