Author Topic: AZL and/or Full Throttle couplers  (Read 5105 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
AZL and/or Full Throttle couplers
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »
Are either of these available as separate parts?  Spurred by DKS's nice review and the dearth of good N scale options so far, I want to try them in some N scale body-mount experiments. But they only seem to be available with pricey Talgo-style trucks (and then only through fairly limited channels.)

Thanks,
Gary

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: AZL and/or Full Throttle couplers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Are either of these available as separate parts?  Spurred by DKS's nice review and the dearth of good N scale options so far, I want to try them in some N scale body-mount experiments. But they only seem to be available with pricey Talgo-style trucks (and then only through fairly limited channels.)

Sorry to say that, for now (to quote), they're only available with pricey Talgo-style trucks (and then only through fairly limited channels.)

Also note that body-mounting either of them will pose some challenges as well, because of the way the coupler boxes are designed. It will take a fair bit of tinkering since the boxes do not have holes, and it's more than a simple matter of drilling them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:41:01 PM by David K. Smith »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:52:04 PM »
Thanks David [for nothing alas... ;)]

I've been tinkering with Bryan B's idea of using rectangular tube stock for coupler boxes and it works really well for Accumates and McHenrys. But both of those couplers have enough drawbacks that it's hardly worth the trouble.  The Full Throttle model in particular appears to be exactly what I want - a closer-to-N-scale McHenry...  Oh well.

-gfh

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
Well, it is possible, but as I said it takes some tinkering. And of course you need to buy the trucks too. (If you're really serious, contact me and I might be willing to take the trucks off your hands.)

Anyway, the approach I took was to screw the lid of the original coupler box to the car, then snap the other half onto it. The mounting screw has to be carefully countersunk to clear the coupler parts.

As an alternative, it might be possible to use rectangular brass tubing--it just depends on the internal dimensions of the tube, since the coupler and its integral springs must exactly fit. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if the right size is available.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:45:51 PM by David K. Smith »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
Thanks again David.  Good ideas and photos, as usual.

The brass stock I'm using is 3/32 x 3/16 OD, and the wall thickness is 0.014" IIRC.  (As per Bryan's Sep/Oct 2007 NSR article.)  It's almost identical to the MT 905 box, by chance.  Could you tell me the inside dimensions of the Full Throttle box?

With the AccuMates and McHenrys, the 3/16 width is perfect for the centering springs, and I put an MT truck washer under the shank to make the height a good snug fit.  It works beautifully, but the coupler heads are just too d@mn Big for my taste.  I think there should be some margin in how close the width has to be to the design width since that would mainly affect centering tension, but I don't know how much margin. 

One nice thing about the tubing is that the length is entirely customizable for applications like extended draft gear on box cars, or for tank cars where you'd like to mount to the solid tank instead of the flimsy end platform.

Cheers,
Gary

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
FT internal coupler pocket dimensions

W: 0.132 in.
L: 0.184 in.
H: 0.034 in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:22:38 PM by David K. Smith »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:54 PM »
Ok, I.D. of the tubing is: 0.160" W x 0.066" H.  With the MT washer inside, the effective H is about 0.050".  So it might work, but even if it does, coupler availability is an issue.  Sigh.

-gfh

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:55:59 AM »
Ok, I.D. of the tubing is: 0.160" W x 0.066" H.  With the MT washer inside, the effective H is about 0.050".  So it might work, but even if it does, coupler availability is an issue.

I'd actually try the next size down, if there is such a thing. Width is as important as the height, and if it's overly wide, the coupler might not center well.

As for availability, Anthony usually has them in stock--

http://www.zscalemonster.com/full_throttle/100/

and if not, I have a "direct pipeline" to the manufacturer, since I'm his webmaster and a friend.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:07:26 AM »
Someone should drop a line to the good Uncle and let him know his couplers might be of use to the N scale community.  He may have no idea that this market potentially exists.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »

I'd actually try the next size down, if there is such a thing. Width is as important as the height, and if it's overly wide, the coupler might not center well.

As for availability, Anthony usually has them in stock--

http://www.zscalemonster.com/full_throttle/100/

and if not, I have a "direct pipeline" to the manufacturer, since I'm his webmaster and a friend.

Alas there is no next size down in K&S tube stock, though it's very hard to find this info on the web.  However, I do have a sample of channel stock that has a OD of 3/64 x 5/32 and an ID of .039" x .128".  This would be close to perfect if I can come up with a practical cover, which shouldn't be too hard.  I'll contact Zmonster for some trucks and give it a try.  Thanks for your input David, my knowledge of Z is next to nil.

I agree with Tom that this could be a potentially great solution for N foamers like me.

-gfh

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »
Someone should drop a line to the good Uncle and let him know his couplers might be of use to the N scale community.  He may have no idea that this market potentially exists.

Oh, he knows (I've made sure of it). The problem is this: offering the couplers separately would require tooling a new pocket, since not everyone is willing/able to make their own pockets. Presently, investing in any new tooling is out of the question. So... pretty much we've got what we've got for now.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
Of course I blame our man Craig for sending me down this path. By releasing the perfect 100T truck w/o coupler, I had no choice but to explore body-mount options.  I still have high hopes that he'll come through with the ideal N coupler.  But I'm impatient.   ;)

I ordered some Bowser/FT trucks this AM.  If the FT option looks promising, do you think Will would sell them w/o pockets?  (That's how the McHenry is sold.)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
If the FT option looks promising, do you think Will would sell them w/o pockets?

I will ask! Note that if he did, I imagine he'd sell them unassembled (he does all of the assembly for all of his products himself). And they're a PITA to assemble--but probably worth the savings, assuming he's willing.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
Thanks!  Unassembled would be fine.  They can't be any worse than assembling MT 903s...  It looks like the trick is to keep the halves aligned while inserting the pin.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
I asked. Unfortunately the reply was no. It would mean changes to how Will and Bowser do business, which is not an option at this point in time.