Author Topic: Portable backdrops for photos  (Read 3046 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12246
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11690
Portable backdrops for photos
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
0
So, how many folks are tired of seeing my basement walls' simulated brick pattern?  Since I'm getting ready to move in less than 4 months and this was a rental anyway, extensive permanent backdrops were never really an option.  However, portable backdrops for photos are easily done.  Case in point:

Before:



After:



Let's move it a bit and use it to highlight a locomotive:



Now, what's at the end of the yard?  Not bricks anymore!



Now even the other side of the yard that doesn't have a permanent backdrop can have one for photos!



How'd I do it?  Some scrap pieces of foam core, some acrylic craft paints, glue, and ground foam.  That's it!



wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16563
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7453
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »
0
Brilliantly played.  But I always liked your brick patterned basement walls.  I like to imagine that you're shacking up with David Popp.  ;D

I've got to make a more extensive portable myself to aid with the new bridge scene...

BTW, I was in a Dollar Tree yesterday, and they have some really crappy foam core that's perfect for this use... and it's only... you guessed it... a dollar!

Lee
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:20:53 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12246
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11690
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »
0
What works about this is now I have a number of shots that weren't available before.  For example, roster shots right where the loco or car happens to be.  Up first is my kitbashed H10sb:



Followed by a Trainman Erie 40'-er...



Now the highway bridge doesn't have to dump traffic over the edge and into the aisle.  Now it can head straight into a mountain!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:15:21 PM by Dave Vollmer »

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14004
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
0
where are they sending you?  Hurlburt?

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26100
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11590
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
0
Nice!

And damn, that H12BS is hot. The only thing looking non-PRR there is the tender.

Everyone may love the T1, M1, etc... But those 2-8-0s were quintessential PRR in my mind.

In other news, I agree about the backdrops. I've been using the same piece of white foamcore for a long time now.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12246
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11690
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »
0
where are they sending you?  Hurlburt?

Yup.

AlkemScaleModels

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1185
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +40
    • Alkem Scale Models
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »
0
This is my kind of backdrop....


Targeted banner ad.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3569
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3967
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »
0
I bought about 25 2x4 1/8th inch masonite panels a few years ago and
called them skyboards. I painted them blue and used cloud stencils for
exactly the same purpose. They could be clamped to the fascia or lack
of for photos. Sold em' all out at a train show in LA.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3569
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3967
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
0
Brilliantly played.  But I always liked your brick patterned basement walls.  I like to imagine that you're shacking up with David Popp.  ;D

I've got to make a more extensive portable myself to aid with the new bridge scene...

BTW, I was in a Dollar Tree yesterday, and they have some really crappy foam core that's perfect for this use... and it's only... you guessed it... a dollar!

Lee

New Haven Boys Club

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14004
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
0
where are they sending you?  Hurlburt?

Yup.

time to build a bigger box for the layout ..

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »
0
The removable backdrop looks good!

where are they sending you?  Hurlburt?

Yup.

time to build a bigger box for the layout ..

^ agreed. No true basements (split levels are about as close as you can get) down here. Oh yeah; Dave, welcome to my neck of the woods (Eglin), lol.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12246
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11690
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:07:30 PM »
0
I boxed up the layout for my first move from Florida (I was stationed at Patrick AFB).  I still have that crate.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12246
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11690
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
0
A few more Conrail shots... ;D








unittrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1492
  • Respect: +148
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
0
I love these pictures always inspiring to see how good a scene can look!

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Portable backdrops for photos
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »
0
Damn, the USAF doesn't keep you long in one place.  The Navy at least tried to give you a 2 year tour before moving you someplace else.  Don't seem like you were there long.