Author Topic: MTL wheel sets  (Read 1040 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +246
MTL wheel sets
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Are the low profile wheel sets still made? Can't seem to find them.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: MTL wheel sets
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
I doubt it. I haven't seen any either since Micro-Trains came out with their new "standard" wheel sets. I think the new wheels are much better... no razor sharp flanges ;).

Hmm... Kiz hasn't had to
use as many bandaids
lately...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:50 AM »
As Kiz said, I don't think they're made, and if they are, I wouldn't buy them.

The original lo-pros didn't have the sharp flanges.  For some reason they were changed at some point before the new "standard" wheelsets came out.  I bought so many of the original 1008 wheels when they first came out, as well as Precision Master wheels in various lengths, that I have no idea when they were changed. 

My first contact with the sharp flange version was in InterMountain flatcar, bought at a train show, that wouldn't go through my dual-gauge turnouts.  It seems that, when MT sharpened the flanges, they took the material from the outside of the flange, so that while the back-to-back distance stayed the same, the wheel gauge was too narrow.   And, since the gauge can't be changed, the wheels were junk, which was a big surprise to me.  That was the first time I had ever had to change a MT wheel because it was out of gauge...

The new "standard" wheels run on my Micro Engineering code 40 flex track, so I'm satisfied with them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:54:02 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Papa David

• Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
IF you are still interested, I am sure I have a couple of 100-axle packs of the old low profiles still unopened in my extra stuff.  If interested, let me know.

David Maglott