Author Topic: DIY Light Tent  (Read 3363 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
DIY Light Tent
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »
Finally got around to building my own light tent to work on some macro photography. Pretty straitght forward as I built a 14x12x18 box out of some scrap ripped down 1x4's,a white 200ct bed sheet, some poster board, and some lights. Cost about $20 because I had to buy 4 lights, other materials were $7.

Been shooting some things in it but its so so right now as I am waiting for my Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM to arrive.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:06:52 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: DIY Light Tent
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »
Nice.  What is the specific light setup (wattage & placement) for the loco shot?

How about putting the sheets inside the frame?

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
What's the material you have bowed in as a backdrop? It's not bedsheeting, too reflective to be cloth.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Sheet styrene would be my guess...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
It was mine too. Has a higher shine then I'd expect from styrene.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
Cool looking little soft box, Ian! I didn't even get as far as making a "box" for myself. With the smaller stuff I've been shooting, I just set up two pieces of frosted acetate, and aim small halogen spots at them. The spill light doesn't even enter the frame. This is my $30 studio: $10 each for a 4' track and two track lights. The track lets me adjust the position of the lights while keeping wires and such out of the way. The track is mounted to the edge of the shelf with plain steel brackets.

The syke (curved backdrop) is an enameled steel splash panel made to go behind kitchen stoves, which I rescued from the trash. It has a nice smooth, slick white surface, perfect for shooting.

Lately, though, I've been experimenting with black plastic instead. It creates more dramatic reflections, and I think dark rolling stock tends to look better against it.

BTW Ian, sorry to say I see you've got the same issue going on that I have: dust on the CCD. My DSLR even has a "self-cleaning sensor," and it still gets dirty, even though I go to great pains to keep things as dust-free as possible around the camera while I'm shooting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:06:59 PM by David K. Smith »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
Nice job and results Ian .

Richie Dost

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
I like the black plastic, Dave. The closest truck and wheels get lost in it, maybe because it's turned in an outward arc? BTW, what lens and F are you using there?

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Once the shininess of the car was toned down with some weathering it, particularly the trucks, would really pop against that black plastic.
-Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
I like the black plastic, Dave. The closest truck and wheels get lost in it, maybe because it's turned in an outward arc? BTW, what lens and F are you using there?

You're right about the truck getting lost. I made a random image pick and it wasn't a good representative. Here's a better one:

Lens is a 50mm prime with various extension tubes (I think for that one I used 12mm). IIRC, f-stop was around 22.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:03:28 PM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
David & Ian,
Great work.  I've been contemplating a light box like this for model phototgraphy.  Lots to learn here.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
Hmmm, gonna have to play with the macro if I ever get (over to the Eastern Shore to get) the D100 back. OK, after I get used to the new bifocals.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:06:40 PM by sirenwerks »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
Finally got around to building my own light tent to work on some macro photography. Pretty straitght forward as I build a 14x12x18 box out of some scrap ripped down 1x4's,a white 200ct bed sheet and some lights. Cost about $20 because I had to buy 4 lights, other materials were $7.

Been shooting some things in it but its so so right now as I am waiting for my Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM to arrive.

Wow, all that work to take a photo of a bone-stock model.  Congratulations.   ::)

Do some modeling!  :D

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:01:32 AM »
Wow, all that work to take a photo of a bone-stock model.  Congratulations.   ::)

Maybe he was too busy with the light tent to get around to the weathering???  ;)  ;D

Art
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:08 AM »

Wow, all that work to take a photo of a bone-stock model.  Congratulations.   ::)

Do some modeling!  :D

Hey....I added a frame stripe and painted the walkways!  :P

BTW Ian, sorry to say I see you've got the same issue going on that I have: dust on the CCD. My DSLR even has a "self-cleaning sensor," and it still gets dirty, even though I go to great pains to keep things as dust-free as possible around the camera while I'm shooting.

I believe it is actually on the lens. This camera just came back from Canon from a flash motor failure and they cleaned the CCD at the same time. After the first test shots I noticed the specs and checked the CCD and found it to still be clean so I checked the lens and there was quite a bit on the inside of the glass. I don't have the fork tool to unscrew the glass retainer so I will have to find something that will take the ring off.  I wish it was like my zoom USM lenses where you can remove 3 screws and you can clean inside easily. I found that my old camera bag was not doing a great job of keeping out dust so I also recently ordered a Pelican case to pack all my gear in. One for the camcorder too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:37:45 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1