Author Topic: Alexandria, VA Today  (Read 758 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Alexandria, VA Today
« on: July 17, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
Spent a couple hours at the Amtrak station in Alexandria, VA today.  I didn't expect to see a NS coal train but here it is:

Half with these cars:

The other half were these:

There is a power plant in Alex but I had heard it closed due to exvironmental reasons.  Guess it's up and running again.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Alexandria, VA Today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
The Mirant Community Monitoring Group has been harrassing the plant's owner, Mirant, for some time about emissions, dust off the coal pile, etc.; but I think the plants up and running again after a court order shut it down briefly. Although I consider myself fairly environmentally-minded, it weirds me out how people move next to a power plant that's been there forever and then get offended by said power plant. Um, it's big enough where it being next door shouldn't be much of a surprise and you'd think people would have some common sense about its ops.

Anyway, does that plant have a rotary dumper to accept those gons? I thought it was just a shaker house.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »
The Mirant Community Monitoring Group has been harrassing the plant's owner, Mirant, for some time about emissions, dust off the coal pile, etc.; but I think the plants up and running again after a court order shut it down briefly. Although I consider myself fairly environmentally-minded, it weirds me out how people move next to a power plant that's been there forever and then get offended by said power plant. Um, it's big enough where it being next door shouldn't be much of a surprise and you'd think people would have some common sense about its ops.

Anyway, does that plant have a rotary dumper to accept those gons? I thought it was just a shaker house.

In 1996 at the N scale convention, we got a tour of the power plant. Some of the tourers got a chance to drive the loco over the rotary dumper (at least I think it was a rotary, my memory isn't that clear on that point).

The plant gets coal hopper, top goons, coltainers and lots of covered hoppers.  The coltainers haul out fly ash, the covered hoppers bring in some kind of pollution control additive.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
the power plant is a neat operation - there is a small yard there, two diamonds, and an SW1200 i think to do the work. 
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:20:11 AM »
Many years ago they use a fireless cooker to move cars around.  Neat little engine which I never shot a photo of.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
Spent a couple hours at the Amtrak station in Alexandria, VA today. 

BTW you were about one mile from my house.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
Years ago I lived about 3 miles from the station.  Could hear the trains passing Cameron Run all the time.

Also saw these Metro cars.  Are these new.  First time I've seen them:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:29:51 PM by Bob Bufkin »

crencs

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »
Not a  new train - just wrapped w/ an advertisement.  Another source of funding for an aging system that needs major maintenance everywhere!

As a daily rider, I can tell you that they have been running trains w/ bad order cars last week and just keep the doors close when the train gets into the station - forcing passengers to scramble and pack the remaining cars that are working. :Phttp://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1998213

Oh and if the sauna like cars aren't  enough, the escalators have been giving metro users extra exercise too!  Dupont Circle especially. http://www.wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=2001175  I'm surprised that Metro management hasn't  started charging for providing a health club services.   ::)

Craig
Craig K.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »
Not a  new train - just wrapped w/ an advertisement.  Another source of funding for an aging system that needs major maintenance everywhere!

As a daily rider, I can tell you that they have been running trains w/ bad order cars last week and just keep the doors close when the train gets into the station - forcing passengers to scramble and pack the remaining cars that are working. :Phttp://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1998213

Oh and if the sauna like cars aren't  enough, the escalators have been giving metro users extra exercise too!  Dupont Circle especially. http://www.wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=2001175  I'm surprised that Metro management hasn't  started charging for providing a health club services.   ::)

Craig

They will be in a couple of months, once they get the off-peak pricing figured out.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
Spent a couple hours at the Amtrak station in Alexandria, VA today.  I didn't expect to see a NS coal train but here it is:

Half with these cars:

The other half were these:

There is a power plant in Alex but I had heard it closed due to exvironmental reasons.  Guess it's up and running again.

May not be a coal train... the COLTAINERs are in sludge service.