Author Topic: Any MiNi Mod-U-Trak Photos from the NMRA show?  (Read 13437 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Any MiNi Mod-U-Trak Photos from the NMRA show?
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
Dang Mike, that makes my front lawn look positively anemic!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
My only thought to the contrary is that maybe the grass base scenery is a little too uniform...  

Russ Porter photo that I used for inspiration on the Newport corner:

Did you model the curve after the photo or find a photo that matched your curve?
Maybe I have not been to wisconsin enough times, but that picture seems to be the exception, rather than the rule.
Daryl

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
I've seen lots of lightly rolling, perfect green grass laden hills whenever I've been to Wisconsin.  Almost like it was made idyllic on purpose (and maybe it was) like the perfect rows of corn or wheat you see in the Midwest.  It's what makes it good cow grazing country I guess.
-Mark

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
I modeled the curve after the photo, this was one of two curve locations I identified while we still had bare module frames.

Remember that things look a lot different today than they did in 1950.  When I was working on the Russell corner, I planted a bunch of trees around the river, matching what it looks like today.  Then I found a historical aerial photo and there wasn't a single tree within the borders of the module.

Railroads spent more money spraying/burning weeds within the ROW back then.  

If you're modeling modern day, by all means do something different.  But come see the Newport corner in person before you write it off completely!

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »

Remember that things look a lot different today than they did in 1950.

Amen.  Try doing research on what scenes looked like in 1863!

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
I modeled the curve after the photo, this was one of two curve locations I identified while we still had bare module frames.

Remember that things look a lot different today than they did in 1950.  When I was working on the Russell corner, I planted a bunch of trees around the river, matching what it looks like today.  Then I found a historical aerial photo and there wasn't a single tree within the borders of the module.

Railroads spent more money spraying/burning weeds within the ROW back then.  

If you're modeling modern day, by all means do something different.  But come see the Newport corner in person before you write it off completely!

Definately not writing the curve off at all.  I've seen it in person and it looks great.  Just making observations.  For me the challenge is going to be somehow marrying the grassyness of static grass with the jaggedness of ground foam to get the right effect. As someone I know always says, better modeling through peer pressure.
Daryl

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
Two of the curves are "based" off of actually spots, which I can confidently tell you have been kind of pegged for the new curves for some time by Mike.  Newport being one of them.  One is generic, and the other is used to show the progression of scenery techiniques. 

Mike might be able to clarify, but I think the old corners were kind of done the other way around. 
~ Matt