Author Topic: Any MiNi Mod-U-Trak Photos from the NMRA show?  (Read 13435 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Any MiNi Mod-U-Trak Photos from the NMRA show?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Ahhhhmazing. I am still in love with this modular layout.

I call dibs on Camp Douglas and Tomah....I'm sure I could make it out for a few shows a year!  ::) ;D
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »

I call dibs on Camp Douglas and Tomah....I'm sure I could make it out for a few shows a year!  ::) ;D

Denton's got dibs on Camp Douglas already, but let me know when you have Tomah structures ready to go and we'll get you a frame!   ;)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »

Denton's got dibs on Camp Douglas already, but let me know when you have Tomah structures ready to go and we'll get you a frame!   ;)

HA! Get me a Tomah track map from the era you guys are looking for, Only remember the much dwindled trackage from the mid 90's!

Hell I'll add it to the modular version of the AN which is gonna be using MiNi Mod-U-Trak standards. MiNi Northeast.  :P

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »
Layout's looking great. I especially can't wait to see Keith's CNW station in its finished form. I assume (a HUGE risk, I know) that he's using some of the piece-parts from the HO Walthers City station?

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
Layout's looking great. I especially can't wait to see Keith's CNW station in its finished form. I assume (a HUGE risk, I know) that he's using some of the piece-parts from the HO Walthers City station?

Marty

Marty, need I say what happens when you ASSume something  ;)  No HO structures or parts were used  ;D
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

skytop35

• Crew
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »

That won't stop Ian. He's already copied my Kingsbury branch  ;)
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

skytop35

• Crew
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
So when are you guys gonna set up at a show out East?

Bryan, as much as we'd love to do other shows, it probably won't happen. Let's just say it's easier for you to come to the layout than for the layout to come to you  :)
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »
Wow, those photos should NOT be allowed on a family friendly forum.

Great work guys, that is really awesome stuff you've got going there.

Also, I REALY like the triangular displays, very clean, very professional.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:27 AM »
I love the Oscar Meyer Wiener (sp?) car on Keith's module! Now there's a vehicle sorely needed in N!
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »

That won't stop Ian. He's already copied my Kingsbury branch  ;)

Oh OH! OW Bill!  ;D

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
That is some great modeling. The Train Show pictures don't do it justice.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »

Bryan, as much as we'd love to do other shows, it probably won't happen. Let's just say it's easier for you to come to the layout than for the layout to come to you  :)

I'm workin' on it. I'd love to see it in person, in part because I can't seem to get enough photos of such great modeling.

On a side note, is there any chance the Mod-u-trak module construction standards will be posted on they website? There are a number of lines I can think of that would be perfect for your concept. The NP's Seattle to Portland line, which also ran GN, UP and some Milwaukee trackage rights, and the SP in the San Joaquin Valley, with is bucolic scenery like the Mod-u-trak setting, both stand out to me as possibilities. When chatting these ideas up, it would be nice to refer to your site for the particulars of construction, wiring, etc.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »

I'm workin' on it. I'd love to see it in person, in part because I can't seem to get enough photos of such great modeling.

On a side note, is there any chance the Mod-u-trak module construction standards will be posted on they website? There are a number of lines I can think of that would be perfect for your concept. The NP's Seattle to Portland line, which also ran GN, UP and some Milwaukee trackage rights, and the SP in the San Joaquin Valley, with is bucolic scenery like the Mod-u-trak setting, both stand out to me as possibilities. When chatting these ideas up, it would be nice to refer to your site for the particulars of construction, wiring, etc.

Some day, some day...  I need a graphic arts department.

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »

Marty

Marty, need I say what happens when you ASSume something  ;)  No HO structures or parts were used  ;D

Told you I was taking a risk . . . . consider me burned. Looks great!

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
You can find the full gallery of photos that Mike took HERE.

He took some video clips as well, but I'll need to edit and stitch those together into something first.

I'd like to get around to redesigning our website and include some of the "standards" we have been using to build these. Also looking at our full setup at this show made it clear we need to clarify a few additional things with paint, ballast, track paint colors, Silflor static grass mixes  and more. Every time we put these together you realize the difficulty in having people in different locations working on things separately and then tying it all together. Overall we manage that process remarkably trouble free, but it is the little details that make it.

As a side note/discussion it was interesting to talk with people at the show. One of the most common questions we get is whether it is n-scale or z-scale. The other typical comment is that people can't believe that it is n-scale and what we've been able to do with it. Many people comment that the only exposure they get to n-scale is via NTRAK and that NTRAK very often looks like a patch quilt of various quality modules which don't really highlight the potential of n-scale. There are conversations elsewhere about the state of n-scale and how it is often ignored. We've often discussed among our group that there are some really fine examples out there of n-scale layouts and modules, but most people don't ever get to see them and thus n-scale gets dismissed as more toy-like or not very serious.

We do our best to try and highlight what can be done. We have the luxury of a great group of like-minded people with complimentary skill sets. Being able to lock down scenery standards in addition to module construction standards helps too. But it is at the shows that you realize the perceptions people have about a given scale and how you can influence those perceptions quite a bit. Skibbe overheard Tony Koester talking to one of the Walthers people near our layout saying something to the effect of, "I've been watching this in development for some time and it's superb... Kinda makes you take another look at n-scale."

It was a great show for the little bit that I was able to be there and it was great to meet so many supportive people. We're looking forward to Trainfest and more progress!

-jamie