Author Topic: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals  (Read 9481 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
0
Zox you beat me to that one.  Just how do you cross?  Show me a video where it happens so I can cure my curiousity.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
0
Tim Warris' (FastTracks) display model of Bronx Terminal:


Okay, I call B.S. on the spur leading to the building at the bottom left.

Guess even the FastTracks guy couldn't figure out how to run directly across a set of points... :)

Zox you beat me to that one.  Just how do you cross?  Show me a video where it happens so I can cure my curiousity.

Gentlemen, as it happens this is precisely how the CNJ built this crossing. It has a set of removable rails that are placed in position manually to take the locomotive over the other points and into the enginehouse.

Photos of the prototype are here: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

Scroll down about 1/4 of the page, to the heading "Removable Crossover."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:29:06 PM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9027
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
0
And Tim documents that crossing and the building fairly extensively on his personal website.  Including prototype pics, if I recall.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »
0
And Tim documents that crossing and the building fairly extensively on his personal website.  Including prototype pics, if I recall.

Yes, it starts here: http://www.bronx-terminal.com/?p=3069
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:43:51 PM by David K. Smith »

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
0
Gentlemen, as it happens this is precisely how the CNJ built this crossing. It has a set of removable rails that are placed in position manually to take the locomotive over the other points and into the enginehouse.

Photos of the prototype are here: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

Scroll down about 1/4 of the page, to the heading "Removable Crossover."

Wow--I guess there really is a prototype for everything.

I wasn't trying to imply actual intent to deceive, by the way. I'd assumed that the geometry of the model was just fractionally different from the reality due to scale issues--if the connection were about one tie further right, it could be made to work "conventionally."
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:58 AM »
0
I'll be.  New one on me.  I've seen that site many months ago but didn't remember seeing that crossing. 

atsf_arizona

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 764
  • Respect: +177
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
0
Some folks asked me if I had a track-level photo of Tim Warris' trackwork
on the HO Bronx Terminal layout... yes, I do, here it is:



Thx for asking and enjoy :-).  Amazing work.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
0
BTW - there is another arrangement like that in California - I believe near the Sacramento railroad museum.  I think an old SP crossing was taken out, severing the access to the museum - and a temporary "crossover" rail set is in place to allow for very occassional movements.

There have been photos - probably on Trainorders at some point....

[edit - here they are, about halfway down the page:]

http://www.trainweb.org/dunn/2006d24a/

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
0
Maybe there's no 3G coverage at the show?

sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
0
Maybe there's no 3G coverage at the show?

Only if they have Iphones ;D, or maybe they are just holding them wrong.

In all seriousness if I was at the show I would have more inportant thing to see and do than posting on the net. I would wait to get home and then spill the beans.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

atsf_arizona

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 764
  • Respect: +177
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
0
Hi, all,

A man named Jeff Carlson posted 13 pages of pics from NMRA National Train Show: http://bit.ly/9fVEDy  - well worth seeing! 

(The full URL is: http://bnsfsd70.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=58623 )

Thx so much for sharing these for us all, Jeff.  Super pics.  :-)

Although most of the content is HO, such as:



Imagine That! Laser cut structures:



There is some N scale content as well, such as the Model Railroad N scale Salt Lake Route project layout:





He posted this on the Atlas forum:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61219

Thx so much for sharing these for us all, Jeff.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
0
Did anyone find out what the attendance was at the show.  Normally the announce it, but not this time...at least not while I was clearing up the booth.  I suspect the number was very low...Saturday it was under 3K I was told...sunday had to  be less.  All I saw were NMRA folks and those working booths and layouts...few Civilians.  I suspect they need to reconsider having these shows downtown where parking is expensive and costs are high.  Most vendors I talked to were very upset and wern't sure they were going to show much profit.  Anyway I never thought I'd see a show that seemed as bad as Detroit did, but this might be it.  BTW, kudo's to the Modutrak guys, everyone said it was the best layout any scale there.

Joe
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
0
Sacramento in mid July should be really nice...  It may be 120 but at least it's a dry heat.

Plus that logo is sure to pull the crowds in.



Bruce Bird

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 187
  • Respect: +3
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »
0
Hmmm- judging from the pic of the N scale modelers the Reid brothers have been signed by Nike.  Smart move by Nike!

Bruce

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Follow what's happening at this week's NMRA Nationals
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
0
MRH has more N scale pics up from Sunday.  Shots of new items include the FVM Hiawatha bodyshells and Gevos, the BLMA spines and CD4000s II, MTL's hw parlor and Bachmann's new anouncements.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/2964

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale