Author Topic: Con-cor's New Coupler  (Read 4707 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Con-cor's New Coupler
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:25:32 AM »
    There was a scale size non functioning coupler out there for a few years, the J&J Trains dummy couplers coupied from the front couplers on the old Endo Micro Cast F-3/7 diesels, but with a T end to fit in Rapido pockets. I wish I had bought more of them, they are (were) very close to scale size. Short coupling distance, I used my last ones on a pair of Bachmann 2-8-0 locomotives.                                   Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
Let me get this straight. CC takes two couplers the Accumate, and the MTL, strips the automatic coupling, and automatic uncoupling, keeps the strange looking trip pin. and calls is a leap ahead. Only Con-Cor...

Looking at the pictures, the coupler will be the same exact size as the MTL. Now here is the funny thing. Model Power put an automatic coupler on the front of its 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 that was completely operable with the exception of a trip pin. The coupler was clearly modeled after the MTL coupler. Now we have CC with a totally dummy coupler with ... you guessed it a fake trip pin.

Now I do see something good out of this. It looks like we will get a new 70T roller bearing truck with short shank coupler boxes with metal wheels. Just add McHenrys and this could be a great combination for a fair price.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »

Will wait to see - let's not be too hasty to pile on this ...

Mark

Yeah, "Pile" is a good word to start with.  Realistic is about the last word I would have used to describe it, unless the "real" part is an actual MTL coupler and they weren't referring to the prototype...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 12:29:24 AM »
My expectations are .... low

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
Remember the Charlie Vlk speculation for NTS awhile back. Charlie alluded to developing a whole new couplers system. I wonder if this is his ? ? ?

Too much to think about. Almost 9PM and I get up at 3AM to begin my drive to Milwaukee.

Um, no.  But see you in Milwaukee!

inkaneer

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
As an Ntrakker who does run long unit trains I am not seeing the words that I would want to see in describing this coupler.  Those words are "semi Automatic coupler"  Instead I see "rigid jaw coupler" which I understand to mean "dummy coupler".   Assembling a long train with dummy couplers requires each car to be lifted off the track so one coupler can engage another.  With a semi automatic coupler the cars will couple by just pushing them together.  It's a whole lot easier amd quicker to set up.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »
As an Ntrakker who does run long unit trains I am not seeing the words that I would want to see in describing this coupler.  Those words are "semi Automatic coupler"  Instead I see "rigid jaw coupler" which I understand to mean "dummy coupler".   Assembling a long train with dummy couplers requires each car to be lifted off the track so one coupler can engage another.  With a semi automatic coupler the cars will couple by just pushing them together.  It's a whole lot easier amd quicker to set up.

Well, the original Intermountain coupler was fixed jaw and could couple by bumping the cars together.  Of course they also came uncoupled at random times because of the slop that allowed them to couple in the first place. 

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
Of course they also came uncoupled at random times because of the slop that allowed them to couple in the first place. 

The ultimate solution for reliable coupling:

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »
I thought this was the ultimate answer to reliable "coupling"..

Tony Hines

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
Wow, I didn't know Dr. Phil was into model railroading.....   :o

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »

David, what can you tell me about that part?  It looks perfect for drawbar coupling intermodal wells, assuming it's not T gauge.  ;)

Thanks,
Gary

P.S. Sorry for drifting off topic...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »

David, what can you tell me about that part?  It looks perfect for drawbar coupling intermodal wells, assuming it's not T gauge.  ;)

It's a photoshop job. It's not real.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
It's a photoshop job. It's not real.

Fair enough, I'll go with the duct tape then.