Author Topic: Weekend Update 07/11/2010  (Read 5993 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Weekend Update 07/11/2010
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
OK, let's get this shindig started!

As the first day drifted into the afternoon, the Pennsylvania Special found itself crossing Sherman's Creek.

This marked the Special's first visit to a foreign road, the New York, Susquehanna & Allegheny's Pittsburg Division.  The dignitaries had assembled in the dome lounge, and Mr. Treaster delighted his guests with tales of the division, and its impressive roster of motive power and rolling stock.

As the day wore on the Special continued wending its way through the Alleghenies, and the crowd packed the windows, taking in all the sights.

Sights that included a one-of-a-kind PRR locomotive on loan to the NY,S&A.  With its unique streamlining, the S1 had been considered to power the Special, but the long wheelbase prohibited its use on some of the planned route.  Instead, Mr. Treaster arranged for a meet, all the better to admire the locomotive.

As the day wore into night, and clouds once again descended on the mountains, the Special returned to its home tracks and began a run to one of its major yard facilities, where the train would spend the night.

One of the photographers managed to snap a photo of a coal drag on a lower track in the last flickers of sunlight.

Thank you to trainbuff1 for a very fun evening.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:06:18 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 07/11/2010
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
Nice Eric, he and his layout are a lot of fun!

This weekend I had to come up to Philly to help my grandmother out.

This gave me some time to go do some railfanning with my buddy Nick who lives in the area when home from college. All the videos are from my Droid.

First up we heard that CSX's Q405 had an SD80mac leading. We met up just in time to catch him at Oak Ave in Glenolden, about 4 mins from my parents house.

We heard on the radio that he was having problems with his cab signal system, which wasn't letting him get above 25mph. He stopped at the Twin Oaks siding (south of Chester) to attempt to cut them out. The dispatcher wasn't into that idea (because they'd be needed later when he got to the old RF&P), so he had him get in touch with the mechanical department. They spent about an hour going back and forth before finally realizing that the best thing to do was to cut them out (as the crew suggested). Nick and I waited for him railroad west of there, and finally got him at Naamans Creek Rd in Chichester. We had hoped that he'd really be working hard here, but because he had to stop so a local crew could reset his EOT for him, he just kinda cruised by.

After this, we realized that we'd probably seen the best thing on the Philly sub all day, and we headed off for Philly. Nick had never seen the awesomeness that was around some of the Delaware River waterfront, so we went up Columbus Blvd, checked out Canal St and the awesome old industrial trackage in the streets, and then proceeded to Northeast Philly.

First stop was the old Port Richmond stuff, which was fun. Nick's working on getting some pics of the (still) CR local that works down there in the next few weeks, but our next actual working train came in the form of the local coming off the Bustleton Branch and onto the Northeast Corridor.

We had gone up to Holmesburg Junction where we waited for a few mins (because I SWORE I could hear a prime mover up the branch, and there was another railfan looking guy waiting around). While waiting, we caught a Keystone Service train heading from Harrisburg to NYC.

Just as we were pulling out of the parking lot, here he came. That's the last time I don't trust my instincts.

And finally, we headed back down to Frankford Junction, where NS 38G was making a setout before heading to Camden. This area has really changed since I was a kid, surprisingly, for the better. While the old derelict pipe distributor shut down and got bulldozed, they replaced it with a nice big open field and a Sonic drive in. This meant that we got to watch 38G's crew getting ready to go while enjoying Chili Tots...

After he got his clearance out of the yard, we headed down to the approach to the Delair bridge, where I shot one last video, Up Periscope style.

So not a lot of modeling, but a good weekend nonetheless.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
I almost finished my Milwaukee Road peek-a-boo gondola. This is an Intermountain kit that I modified a bit
and used drinking straws for the pipe load. I need to redo the end straps holding the pipe as I did not
get them tight enough. They are .010 styrene rod wrapped around the load and then glued. I tried Goo on
the end straps and Tenex on the middle one. That seemed to work well. This is my first attempt at weathering
using an airbrush and I am mostly happy with the results. I used a bit of chalk at the end to add some
highlights.

Here is a link to the prototype
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/djs_ank_ak/Models/milw-g288alr.jpg

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +701
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
New addition to the Hiawatha motive power fleet.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
A little more work for me this week on the first four Kaslo Shops rotary gondolas.  I installed the major brake components using the #6713 kit from Precision Scale Co. in lieu of the supplied resin parts.  Now I am trying to figure out exactly how the etched part for the brake rigging is to be positioned.  The instructions are no help as they do not even show the brake equipment in the correct place.  The photograph shows several possible arrangements:

Chip car PGE 9770 is now complete.  I built the car and applied the decals; my friend George Carroll painted and weathered the model.  Here it is in the temporary yard at Dawson Creek waiting to be shoved into the mill for a load of chips:

Later in the day the car began its long journey south to its intended owner.  Here we see Extra 613 West crossing the temporary Pine River bridge:

Hopefully next week I might be able to post a photograph of the car at its intended destination.

Until then, I am commencing my long awaited summer holidays!

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
After the discussion a couple weeks ago here about your "prototype choosing you", I gave a long consideration to what I was modeling.  Years ago I had changed my prototype from KCS to a modern-day "what-if" BN prototype -- I'm not sure why, quite likely just to be different (as if modeling KCS isn't 'different' enough).  But I never really could settle on anything to build a model around, aside from my desire to have an automotive facility (a stretch on BN at best) but that largely excluded anything of interest to me operationally with the BN (mountain railroading) which I didn't particularly want to model anyways because I feel it's extraordinarily difficult to do it justice (the main reason I stayed away from Alaska RR which greatly interests me).  It was difficult to "get into" building my layout because I just couldn't really see how it'd ever fit into a greater vision, which has always been the plan.

So I decided to go back to the KCS.  It's always been the one that 'spoke to me' and it's always been a railroad that I'm "passionate" about.  So I spent many, many hours the past week looking at Atlases, Google Earth and Bing Maps, DVDs, photos, and countless interest searches to narrow down what I want to model.  Choosing industries, scenes, and locations that would be a good fit on a layout.  Trying to figure out just want an industry is that you see on Google Earth can be frustrating as hell -- thank goodness for Street View which can even be had in tiny little towns in deep Arkansas thesedays, which sometimes catches an image of sign on a building.  Now if only there were Birds-Eye views for the majority of KCS' line.  The planned automotive assembly plant is still a stretch, but I'm alright with that; I'm simply putting it where KCS' Knoche Yard in KCK would prototypically be.  I have considered ditching it in lieu of the "correct" yard, but I like the operational interest of the large industry moreso than the idea of just a yard.  I've even gone so far as to rough-out a plan of the future larger layout to see just what can and can't fit in the space I plan on (roughly 12x12 two-level)

So it's all given me a renewed interest in the layout, for sure, which is welcome.  So, if anyone's actually read down this far, the things that I plan on (at the moment) having on the layout:

Upper Level: Kansas City
"South Wall" -- Automotive Assembly Plant (large, approx 12ft long) in place of prototype Knoche Yard
"West Wall" -- Cargill Biodiesel Facility (approx 6ft long -- not sure if prototype is KCS-served, right between KCS and UP facilities with tracks to both)
"East Wall" -- Assembly plant lead and mainline crossing with BNSF (double-main over double-main, with a double-main Flyover alongside)
"North Wall" -- KCS CenterPort, an interesting intermodal facility and auto unloading facility with rail plopped right on top of an abandoned long USAF runway
"Peninsula" -- KC Power and Light La Cygne plant; could model a full power plant in 2.5x2.5 within loop (not prototypical but exceedingly ambitious) or simply the prototypical coal mountain in the middle

Lower Level
Still Undecided.  Will either be a continuation of the line running to Heavener, OK with a Feed Mill/LPG Distributor (Decatur, AR) McKee Foods (Little Debbie in Gentry, OK) and a couple off-layout power plants.   Or, after descending the helix trains will be in Heavener (crew-change and mainline fueling) and the modeled portion will be KCS over Rich Mountain; which has no industries but a lot of train activity over the single-track main with 1.5% grades.  It'll be many, many years before I get that far though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:40:05 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »
Hyperion- I read your post and applaud you for finding renewed interest.  Some people find inspiration easier than others.  It has been pointed out here numerous times that the ourney is half the fun.

For me, this weekend, i got my layout up and running and i ran trains for the first time in about 4 months after a "Kato to C55" yard convertion/undertaking.  All of it "in the nick of time" for next weekend's local N-trak meeting i am hosting.  Nothing like a deadline for inspiration.

Next step, ballast and scenery.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
I recognized that Sherman's Creek bridge scene immediately and wondered, did I miss a PRR weekend at Todd's?  :o

Todd's always a great host and seeing tuscan running his rails is great!  ;D

For my old friends who may be interested, just broke ground on my HO scale PRR Middle Division... http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com .
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
No trains for me .. flew up to Lewiston Maine for lunch on Saturday

Stopped at a few donut shops today on my way to Manchester - but no Ian :)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
New addition to the Hiawatha motive power fleet.

Looks great Bill (as usual). I am sure the MiNi ModUTrak layout will be well received at the NRMA convention. Thanks to you and your colleagues for showing the wider modeling community what can be done it N scale. I hope that there will be some new N scale Milwaukee Road products announced next week...

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:54:06 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
No trains for me .. flew up to Lewiston Maine for lunch on Saturday

Stopped at a few donut shops today on my way to Manchester - but no Ian :)

John,
Wished we knew you were up this way, coulda shown you a few nice layouts.
Jon

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
John,
Jon [/b]

I appreciate the offer, but I had no time. It was my in-laws 60th anniversary, so we just flew in for a couple of days ..  rented a car in Manchester and drove up to Maine ..

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
John,
Jon [/b]

I appreciate the offer, but I had no time. It was my in-laws 60th anniversary, so we just flew in for a couple of days ..  rented a car in Manchester and drove up to Maine ..

I have made that trip a couple of times, doesn't leave much extra time.  Fun but a little tiring!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »

I have been on Grand Jury duty all of June, and working later hours at the job, so not much done this month.  Except for two recall dates, my obligation ended Friday, so hopefully more time for trains.  

I added two firemen (one driver, one on the back) to the pumper and a driver to the RS Laser Kits waggon on the team track.  I had started the ladder waggon some time back.  I actually did add two firemen, (again, one driver on on the back) to the ladder waggon as well, but did so after I took the photograph.  All that I need to do is add some tackle to the horsies on the ladder waggon and it will be finished.  All that I really need now is a hose cart.  

I made the ladder waggon from an old Preiser waggon that I cut down.  The waggon seemed a bit large, as did the horsies.  Was German N Scale once 1:150?

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
I've got two bits of good news: I've moved into my new apartment and the insurance company agreed to compensate me for the loss of my trains.  As soon as I get a check, Chuck should be expecting an order from me.  I've also finally settled on late 1948, partially inspired by Ed's winter scenery, but that also means I can do a mix of steam and diesel and I can run passenger trains (pulled by 70 tonners; I'll have to buy a couple more kits from Randy).  I'll be using the mechanism I designed for the AS416 project, and with some slight modifications to the drawings, I can etch the shells in the same way.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com