Author Topic: missing model - pressure flow covered hoppers  (Read 2454 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
missing model - pressure flow covered hoppers
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »
I don't know how common pressure flow covered hoppers are with many roads but b oth the CPR and PGE rostered some of these cylinderical cars made by Procor.

I would love an RTR model of these - are they common enough to hope someone might undertake a model ?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: missing model - pressure flow covered hoppers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
Not sure what you're talking about Pudd - how about some pix?

Atlas makes this "pressureaid" thing - I'm sure you don't mean that.

http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/npressure.htm

Is this it?

http://www.imrcmodels.com/ho/html/48901.htm

Mark
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:32:14 PM by NandW »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
The Atlas Pressuraid is one good example, the Intermountain car is one that is unique to CN, BCOL and Procor (UTLX/UNPX). CP's were similar but shorter (4 bays). PGE/BCOL and CP also had shorter 3-bay versions. It's being released soon in HO, but I never saw any announcements for it in N scale yet.

A nice car to have would be a North American or Thrall PD car, or one of the modern TrinityRail cars based on the Thrall design. They're only really in plain jane schemes, but there are enough of them out there to be seen regularly.

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
Did Walthers market one years ago?

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

ljudice

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
Walthers did a PD5000.  Also Overland did three versions - a PD5000 and two others, one of them an "Acepticar" or something for food products, I believe...

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
I asked IM about bringing the tubes to N scale and the answer was... no plans for N.

Fudge  >:(

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:37:33 AM »
I would love to have these cas.  The 3300 cu ft version was operated by Mountain Minerals which ran on CP, and CN, BCR and Halliburton all of which were used to deliver special cement for well casings to the oil and gas industry at Fort St. John.  I could use some of each as they would have passed through Chetwynd on a regular basis.  I have seen them on wheel reports, and I have a photo of a Halliburton car at Chetwynd.  Incidentally it was Halliburton who played a large role in development of the pressure flow differential technology for rail cars.  The cars were built by Procor ltd. at their Oakville plant.

I also spoke with Frank at Intermountain about offering this model in N Scale.  The problem is that they did not develop the HO tooling themselves.  It was purchased "off shelf" by someone who had done it privately and offered around for sale.  Still, it doesn't hurt to keep pestering them, and the more voices the better.  That is partly how their N Scale bathtub gondola came about, which they originally had no intention of doing in our scale.

If you are interested in an N Scale model of these cars may I suggest you write to Anthony at Prototype Model Industries www.prototypemodelindustries.com.  He has expressed an interest in doing a model of these cars, and I have already made my wishes known.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ