Author Topic: Detailed & Weathered SD40-2 Snoot - BNSF 6864  (Read 8473 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
Detailed & Weathered SD40-2 Snoot - BNSF 6864
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Hi again, just thought folks might enjoy some pix of my recent N-scale diesel project.  This is a Kato SD40-2 Snoot, originally an ATSF and now patched as BNSF 6864.   Scratchbuilt details include scale wire handrails, grabirons, ditch lights, anticlimber, and cut levers.  It also has a plate full of BLMA detail parts (plow, air hose, MU hoses, sun shades, mirrors, air conditioner, antennae, lift rings).  Stanchions and wipers are GMM, and chain is JNJ.

Weathering was a bit tricky because the 'slippery' plastic that Kato used for the trucks & fuel tank doesn't take paint well, so I primed it with an automotive clear adhesion promoter from a spray can, prior to the first base coat of Dullcote.  The walkways were originally cast in yellow plastic and had to be likewise treated for painting.  BTW, this model is the older release from Kato, not the 2006 version which was not a snoot.

One area where I deviated from the prototype is the headlight.  On the prototype, the headlight is nose-mounted and the area over the windows is covered with a plate.  However I didn't have a headlight casting, and I also would have somehow had to extend the light tube from the cab.  Fiber optics might work but I didn't have any of that either.

(Please note, the pix were taken using a Canon S3 (that I bought from Tom).  This camera has a fully manual mode which is a huge improvement over my old Nikon, but as you can see there are still a few areas (like white balance) that I need to learn a bit more about.  ;) )   It's funny how things look different in photos -- the model definitely looks more grimy in-person than in the pix.

Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks for looking these over.   ;D

Ed

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:12:29 PM by ednadolski »

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +7
Re: Detailed & Weathered SD40-2 Snoot - BNSF 6864
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
Very nice! What really stands out to me is the color differential on the BNSF patch and the weathering on the sunshades. The scale handrails add A LOT as well. I can't wait to see more. :)
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +698
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
Wow Ed, nice work.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
Wow Ed, I'm blown away!  As a public service, I've taken the liberty of snapping a quick pic of my out-of-the-box version of this model so folks can see what a dramatic improvement this is:

The handrails on your unit really kick a$$.  [I assume you made a spare set for me while you were at it, right?]

All of the front detail really makes it look like there could be "someone home" in that cab.  The stock models always look so lifeless to me for some reason - which is not to knock the multitude of excellent features on a Kato diesel by any means! - it's just an intangible.

Weathering is very nice too - I really love the rust work ahead of the patches.

How about a shot on your layout, teamed up with the Gevo?

Cheers,
Gary

P.S. I see what you mean about the color balance.  Scrolling down is a bit like listening to a singer who can't keep pitch.    ;D  [Sorry, just giving you a hard time - it's really fine.]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:59:07 AM by GaryHinshaw »

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
Gary- I do not mean to alarm you, but it looks as though godzilla is about to ravage your snoot...

Ed- that is spectacular work!

my best,
Jan

sw1000b

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
Ed,
Nice job on the model. Very believeable weathering job

Butch Eyler

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +698
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »
The handrails are a huge improvement!

Why can't N get better handrails out-of-the-box?

Hyperion

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »
Beautiful model.

Every time I see upgraded handrails, I think that I just can't accept a model without them while also thinking "there's no way in hell I can do that".  I even got all the supplies to do it (I think).  One of these days I've just gotta man-up and try it.
-Mark

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +133
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Hot.  I love the look you acheived on the long hood, besides all the other obvious touches.  The slightly faded paint and dark panel lines is spot on for last snoot I saw in person.

Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

Heath

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:39:43 AM »
Beautiful job those handrails are to die for .I'll order up some handrails for mine too.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Gary- I do not mean to alarm you, but it looks as though godzilla is about to ravage your snoot...

My wife got into the layout room again...  ;D

why o why o why o?  [did I ever leave Ohio?...]

-gfh

P.S. Ed, I hope you'll bring this snoot to Tehachapi next spring so we can drool on it.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Great work!  The rust under the battery boxes is a nice touch.

Frank

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
(Sorry to be slow getting back on this --- I was away on a bit of biz travel....  man, Boston was really hot this week...)

Thanks everyone for you kind remarks, and for taking the time to look this over.   Gary, thanks too for posting the 'before' pic, I should make it a point to do one of those for every project.  After putting the time in on the model and watching it slowly changing over weeks & weeks, it's easy to forget what the unmodified model really looked like.  You make an interesting observation about the "lifeless" look. To me that seems more apparent on Katos, esp. the HO scale ones, but I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it's just that the factory model looks a little "too perfect".   I think it may also be a subliminal effect from the way that Kato designs the raised relief detailing on their models.

I'm still trying to get the hang of installing the GMM stanchions on these Katos.  The trick with the Katos is that the side sills and the walkways are cast as two separate pieces, so you have to glue them permanently together before you can clip off the old stanchions (using a flush-cut cutters).  Then it becomes a bit of a trick to drill the holes for the GMM stanchions -- sometimes it seems that the holes always want to be in a place where it is hardest to drill.  (Fortunately the stanchions on the front & rear don't usually have that issue.)  Also if you're not too careful the stanchions can be easy to break off before the handrails get soldered into place; if you look really closely you can see where I had to replace some of them.  It just takes patience, but it does definitely get easier & faster once you've done a few.

I agree that would be really great, but since these are only 0.008" wire they really cannot ever be as durable as what is currently being made today.  While the phosphor bronze wire and soldered construction are sturdy enough for reasonable handling, but I don't think they would hold up too long under rough/heavy handling.   (BTW I don't use brass wire -- it's not nearly as durable as the PB.)

I just wish Kato would learn from FVM and start making their newer models without the cast-on grabirons.

Every time I see upgraded handrails, I think that I just can't accept a model without them while also thinking "there's no way in hell I can do that".  I even got all the supplies to do it (I think).  One of these days I've just gotta man-up and try it.

If I can do it, I think most folks could.  One way to get started is with an old/scrap shell, then you can dive in without fear of 'ruining' an expensive model, and if you suffer a few failures while learning, you can just toss 'em and start over.   Really it's just a matter of patience more than anything else (note, good work lighting and magnification really help a lot too).  ;)

Ed

sd80mac

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »
Hi Ed,

First, very very nice work on this unit! The handrails are very cleanly done with sharp, crisp, even bends. Next, what are you using to glue the walkway/handrail insert to the sill? I know that these are two dissimilar plastics, and solvent has no effect on the insert.

Donnell

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »
(Sorry to be slow getting back on this --- I was away on a bit of biz travel....  man, Boston was really hot this week...)

You can say that again. It was 107 with humidity on Tuesday, and I got to spend it in the cab of an SW7 with no Air Conditioning.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight