Author Topic: MTL Milw SD40-2's  (Read 4908 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1095
Re: MTL Milw SD40-2's
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
and your point is what?  While it may not seem like it, the difference in scale makes a difference...not that any point I make will make any difference either... ::)

::)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:09 AM »
So Joe, is that D-Day FT going to have 45° number boards like the artwork suggest or what?  :D

Jason

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 02:00:54 AM »
Sure, if you are buying one  ;D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »
smaller pad (not the problem) and at 90 Degrees from the pad surface...

So, what's to prevent one from setting up the fixture to angle the shell such that the blister is closer to 90 degrees to the pad? (Being a complete ignoramus about these things, I'm probably talking out my butt here, right?)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:11:44 AM by David K. Smith »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
and your point is what?  While it may not seem like it, the difference in scale makes a difference...not that any point I make will make any difference either... ::)

Joe-

I'm just frustrated that MTL doesn't seem to have respect for the hobby.  If MTL can't do it, fine, they can't do it.  But please stop there.  Don't then decide to change things around to make it work out easier in production.

It's like the wide body engines.  If an SD40-2 and a GP-35 can't be done to scale, cost effectively or otherwise, by the staff at MTL, fine, don't do them.  Why weren't the E8's first in line?  Or an FP45/F45 instead of the SD40-2?  Or a BL-2 instead of a GP-9?  There's plenty of projects out there that MTL could handle just fine.  Work within the capacity.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
No Dave, your not talking out your Butt on this.  On it's face it seems logical, but it's a matter of size (isn't everything?)  Pad printers do not like anything that's not dead flat.  We have schemes we want to do on rib side cars that we can't because of the distortion caused as the pad compresses over the surface.  That pad is not flat, it's shaped like my head...a cone and any change in the surface can distort the printed image.  We've printed on angles in the past and they are a challenge...this one just would not work.

Joe

smaller pad (not the problem) and at 90 Degrees from the pad surface...

So, what's to prevent one from setting up the fixture to angle the shell such that the blister is closer to 90 degrees to the pad? (Being a complete ignoramus about these things, I'm probably talking out my butt here, right?)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
Answering the charge that we don't respect the hobby doesn't deserve a response Mike...that's baiting.

Second we didn't do a BL2 because it was ugly ;D  We didn't do an E8 because at the time we started the GP's the F7 mold was still in one piece and I wanted to do a GP since the only one done to that date was the 38 by Rogue.  Wether you like it or not (and we've had these discussions over and over again) there's a balance we walk with every product.  I wanted to sell an engine under $200 and I think we produced something folks really enjoy owning.   

Joe

PS...the sun is out again and I'm going out in the Garden and smell the roses and pick cherries.

Joe-

I'm just frustrated that MTL doesn't seem to have respect for the hobby.  If MTL can't do it, fine, they can't do it.  But please stop there.  Don't then decide to change things around to make it work out easier in production.

It's like the wide body engines.  If an SD40-2 and a GP-35 can't be done to scale, cost effectively or otherwise, by the staff at MTL, fine, don't do them.  Why weren't the E8's first in line?  Or an FP45/F45 instead of the SD40-2?  Or a BL-2 instead of a GP-9?  There's plenty of projects out there that MTL could handle just fine.  Work within the capacity.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »
And with that,  this thread has run it's course. Lets move on to less antagonistic conversations.