Author Topic: Interesting with a bad smell  (Read 1182 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Interesting with a bad smell
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
I had purchased one the kits Kato sold for the CZ observation.  Built it and put it on the tracks to run around with my new MT cars.  Not a lot of voltage and the circuit board went up in smoke.  Car body looks fine but the undercarriage is now a tad uneven.  Only a rivet counter would notice.  Still, no rear lights now and no replacement parts available from Kato.  Bummer.  Sent them an email and we will see what they have to say.  I have been buying Kato since the GP38-2 and this is the first issue I have ever had.  Good record.  More bummed about not being able to buy the parts to fix it than anything.  Anyone else run into this?

:(
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: Interesting with a bad smell
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »
I had a similar "incident" with the Kato Braodway Limited observation.
The circuit became so hot that it burned a hole in the undercarriage, and that warped so much that the car derailed.

My German dealer told me to email Kato U.S.A. for replacement parts, which I received without further questions.  The observation is back in service, but I am cautious now.

I asked on Trainboard but it seemed that only one guy had had a similar problem.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:29:05 PM by christoph »
Christoph

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:23 AM »
I sent them a nice email explaing what happened.  I am hoping they can find the replacement parts even though they are showing out of stock online.  With the latest release still in stock I would think they may have some parts set aside for warranty.  Maybe just by another full set and sell off the cars!  Oh well, one issue in 20 years, I can't complain!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
That description fits a few model railroaders to a tee! ;D