Author Topic: So...picking a locale and prototype is hard.  (Read 2921 times)

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: So...picking a locale and prototype is hard.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
It can never be stated enough that as hard as picking a prototype is, sticking with it is even harder, and yet, so much cheaper as to be worth it!

Who among us isn't torn between eras and roads to model.  And who among us hasn't started to collect in at least two different eras?

A lot, I am sure........ ;D

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
The trains of my youth (80s and early 90s I guess) would have been Conrail, Norfolk Southern, and Bessemer & Lake Erie. I remember seeing F units shifting hoppers around the yard in Conneaut, and that particular harbor still had Huletts!

Steam engines fascinate me, but so do big black or blue diesels; I remember seeing NS' new Dash 9s when they were still the newest thing, and thinking they were one of the sharpest diesels ever *I still believe this, btw* and was heartbroken when CSX and NS parcelled CR up; at least NS got the Ashtabula to Youngstown line (former PRR I think) but yeah, I miss those big blocks of CR locos.

Intermodal looks more "railroad" to me than simple trailers on flats, and is another area that I like, as do trains of "top gons" loaded with coal rumbling down into our harbor. I would love to turn the clock back on Ashtabula, Ohio, to about 1993-1994 or so and reopen all the plants on the east side of town they once served, but to do even a small harbor scene justice would require a good deal more space than I have atm; even a "small" lake boat is about 640 feet, or about 4 feet in N scale.

The boats are just as important to me as the trains, actually, but definately more difficult to feature on a layout! A "dual era" Ashtabula based layout would be incredible; NS and Conrail, or NYC and PRR...! (ooh, and nickel plate!)

Someday, maybe. Someday.

edited, cause spelling IS hard.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:37:19 PM by 2-8-8-0 »
Just say no to dummy couplers.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »

Who among us isn't torn between eras and roads to model.  And who among us hasn't started to collect in at least two different eras?

i know my era - 1967.  the road is a little tougher to nail down simply because i keep chasing operations in a small space.  bridge routes don't work, but coal haulers sure do - esp. ones with Alcos.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5510
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
I lived in Hubbard, OH as a kid. I would hear the train horn in the distance and wait for the train only to have it turn off at the wye and head for Ashtabula  :(   That line up to the harbor was the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern RR, in 1914 is became part of the New York Central. In Youngstown the NYC turns into the P&LE at their station.

Ken,
Did you live in Sharpsville before they re-located the track for the dam? I have seen a photo of an old turntable pit along the Erie there.

Picking Erie was easy for me. I grew up along the line and my Dad worked for EL and Conrail. Once I was old enough to care I kept asking how did those tracks get there. Dad said it used to be the Erie RR, so that was it. Hard to model this area though.