Author Topic: DCC Question  (Read 1573 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
DCC Question
« on: June 14, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
I'm currently getting ready to run bus wires on my modules and am hence ready for my control system. I was wondering if a typical DCC starter set is the way to go. I have about a 60' mainline run on my layout and it is 2-tracks will there be enough power with a starter set? About how many boosters will I need? I want to run locomotive consists any where from 1 to about 6 units. Will I need a sepaerate system for each track?
Thanks

shark_jj

Re: DCC Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
Hi unittrain, I am no expert but I will try to respond to your questions.  My layout is PRR, 4 track main line, double level, 250 feet of main line and I run a Digitrax Chief with a Booster or Slave unit.  Typically there will be up to 20 locomotives in motion at any one time.  That gives you a little context of size of layout vs Command Station.  With a 60 foot main line you will only need a single Command Station.  If it is Digitrax it will probably be 5 amps.  This should be ample for the number of locos you want to run.  Your double track mainline has no bearing on the number of Command Stations.  The same would apply if you used NEC, MRC, or any other manufacturers Command Stations.  Best advice I got on which one to select was "determine what the other guys in your area are using, and what your hobby shop supports, and go with that".  They theory being if you need help there are others around.

In any event, your questions suggest a beginners level understanding of DCC.  (if I'm wrong, my apologies).  If so you might want to check out this website.  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/wirefordcc_toc.htm  Great stuff for everyone from the beginner to the expert. 

Hope I helped and pointed you in the right direction.  Once you have looked at Allan Gartners info, ask any specific questions you still have and I'm sure I or someone can pitch in and try to help. 

shark_jj

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
Sorry, I reread your questions and realized I didn't answer them directly.  Yes, a starter set should be sufficient.  The only deficiency might be the "power pack" nature of sets like the Zephyr, I'm not sure they support handheld throttles.  You will not need a booster.  You do not need a separate system for each track.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:12:10 AM »
Zephyr will do the job. The 2.5 amp booster is built in. Any Digitrax throttle will just plug in when the desire hits you, including radio.

Martin Myers

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »
you didn't mention scale, which is important because different scales = different motor sizes = different draws.  Assumiing HO, I'd go with either a 5 amp starter system, or get a smaller starter and a booster.  My NCE Powercab is rated 3 Amps and while it is sufficient for my switching layout (where consists will at most be three N scale locos operating by themselves), it would be under powered for 6  HO locos on 60 feet of track.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:44:33 PM »
I'll go ahead an order a starter set thanks for the help and one of you asked which scale I'm in it N scale.
thanks