Author Topic: Design me some benchwork  (Read 4043 times)

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
Design me some benchwork
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »

The above is the bedroom in the new apartment I'll be moving to come June (I'll put my bed in the living room).  I'm thinking about two layouts: one between the entrance and the closet, the other around the other three walls.  So, figure a door layout on the one wall, could I get y'all to design me some basic benchwork and a point-point mainline (I'll try to figure out sidings and such like later).  I ask because I have had this much space for a layout before, and I'm slightly intimidated.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Design me some benchwork
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »

Ok, this is what I've come up with so far.  Opinions?
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
looks a little close at the door.

That said, you can get some good, long isnuous scenes in there.  With a low back frop or scenery divide you could even squeeze in a narrow staging yard at the back, connected at both ends for continuous running.

What scale/gauge wer eyu thinking?  Minimum radius?  Track code?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
I wouldn't try to fill the space at first. This is an apartment which means you won't be there forever. It also means that you have neighbors who don't want to listen to a bunch of construction noise. So think modular for when you have to move. I would keep the bed in the bedroom and start modest with a door layout. Nobody wants to see a bed in the living room when they visit. This space is big enough for both.

Best wishes.
Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:30:55 AM »
I have to agree with Dave.  Keep the bed in the bedroom.  The space it would take up in the living room would be fine for a nicely finished modular railroad.  If you are "entertaining" female company, two turnoffs would be a bed in the living room and trains sharing space with the bed in the bedroom.   ;)  You can do the noisy and messy layout construction off site and your neighbors and landlord will be happier for that.

How much space were you going to allow for the bed in the living room?  Use that for layout space.  The layout does not have to be N-trak style modules, but something that can be easily moved and expanded when you have more space.  Having a nicely detailed, finished and manageable layout in your living space sounds like the best option.  Just my opinion.

Eric

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »
The reason I'm really wanting the long runs is that NS was characterized by a whole lot of 'nothing.'  Iconic views of NS include the following:

Since I want to model the eastern division, I have to have at least a representative Albemarle Sound trestle (no way I could do the whole 5 1/2 miles, even if I had space; I couldn't do that many bents).

Of course, one of my favourite scenes is this:

However, I'm not likely to model it because of it's location.  The track leading off to the right is part of the wye that forms the beginning of the Fayetteville branch.  AS416s battling a 1% prevailing grade=awesome.

I will build the layout so that it would be portable; not entirely sure how I'm going to engineer that, but I'll figure out something.  As for female entertainment, I have bribed the GF into accepting the arrangement (Gold does wonders).
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
two thoughts:

1.  N-trak spec modules with your own track as needed.

2 http://www.sieversbenchwork.com/

And I agree - having had several bedroom layouts over the years - a modular in the L/R makes a better impression, especially with good skirting and a nice fascia.  That way the Gold Points can be put to other uses . . .

that, and you could do the trestle real justice in an L-shaped modular on one long wall . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
IDEA: Top-of-door-facing level wall shelf layout depicting trestle, just to run trains.  Make it single track and/or maybe a 3 track staging yard across one wall.

Then, have a smaller modular pt2pt for ops/modeling/display purposes.

It's good that the GF is already in play....it is tougher when you're trying to land one!  I speak from recent experience here.   :)   My layout was in the living area and it didn't fit the space very well.  Should have started from scratch like you did but...oh well.   Don't overdo it....the apartment will get very small after a while, trust me.  I just upgraded to a 2 bedroom and it has made everything MUCH better.  But, more money and I might have been less inclined to upgrade if layout-zilla wasn't in the way.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
I'll second the comment about Sievers benchwork.  While it might be more costly, it is quality stuff and comes with all the hardware.  I ordered a section in the past to see how it was built, and it is nicely done.
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
For a while I had a layout in a bedroom, coexisting with the bed. The layout was shelf-style along two walls, and it was set pretty high so as to clear the furniture. This was a good arrangement as the room also saw use as a studio for a while that was shared with others.

My recommendation would be to follow prior suggestions to keep the bedroom the bedroom, and start smaller. A shelf layout along two walls (possibly three) will give you nice long runs, and simplify its construction/removal. I think you might be painting yourself into a corner and/or biting off more than you can chew with your current plans.

Also... as previously asked... scale? track? minimum radius?

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
As I stated, I am a proponent of doing a highly finished and detailed layout in the living room.  That being said, if you are determined to build a layout in the bedroom I can see a couple of problems.  There are going to be access issues in the two corners and against the wall at the end of your penninsula based on the benchwork footprint that you posted.  If you are determined to put the layout in the bedroom, I would suggets 18" to 24" deep shelves, cantilevered from the wall and placed at about 52 - 53 " above the floor.  That will leave the room underneath available for furniture, etc.  You will need to patch and paint the walls when you move though. Kind of like what I did with my Housatonic RR layour in our bonus room:

Eric

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
In my one bedroom apartment, I must have no furniture covering one of my two windows in the bedroom so I can have access to it in case of a fire.  I don't know if this is a city code or just rules my complex has.  Just something to keep in mind.
Aaron Bearden

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
The backwards E is not a good idea. The good old linear around the walls with a peninsula in the center is better for running, staging, etc. Easy to build in sections that can be transported when you move on so long as you plan it that way. Doors can be removed, duck-unders are not fatal. Don't worry about visitors, they don't have to live there.

Personally, I don't get the door layout thing. Being incarcerated in a condo for the past 5-1/2 years, I still prefer no layout to one on a door... it's like a tease, or going to the t*ty bar and leaving with the fat waitress. I'd rather get none than settle for the best I can get. But that's just me.

FWIW, you get bonus points for being more concerned about the layout than sleeping arrangements. Well done, sir  ;)

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
it's like a tease, or going to the t*ty bar and leaving with the fat waitress. I'd rather get none than settle for the best I can get. But that's just me.

HEHE
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer