Author Topic: Anyone have Futura Bold font?  (Read 4493 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Anyone have Futura Bold font?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
Futura Md Bt is the one I use the most.

Ditto. Used in my sig graphic as well.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
You guys know that Conrail's font is not straight Futura, correct?  It is based on Futura and is very close, but not exact.  You can use Futura on some of the dimi data and car class designations, but it isn't accurate for the railroad name and reporting marks.

I created my Conrail font based on the official specs, but I only have the necessary characters and numerals for the basic essentials.  RailFonts makes an accurate Conrail font that is complete for a reasonable price.  You really need CR, PC and PRR fonts to be able to letter any CR model.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
You guys know that Conrail's font is not straight Futura, correct?  It is based on Futura and is very close, but not exact.  You can use Futura on some of the dimi data and car class designations, but it isn't accurate for the railroad name and reporting marks.

I created my Conrail font based on the official specs, but I only have the necessary characters and numerals for the basic essentials.  RailFonts makes an accurate Conrail font that is complete for a reasonable price.  You really need CR, PC and PRR fonts to be able to letter any CR model.

How much you want for yours Bryan!?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

ljudice

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
Bryan - I agree... I've found a little bit of manipulation in Illustrator can yield something very close, with Future Medium as a starting point, although I'm sure it's not 100%.

Another example is the "GERSCO" lettering - on many GE Rail Services owned freight cars (usually lettered for a shortline). It's clearly some kind of modified Futura like typeface, but again Futura can be used as a starting point to make something close.

It says a lot about the care you take in this regard, BTW. One real frustration is to see models (for example a lot of the old LBF models, but there are many others), where it is obvious that an easy to find computer font was used as a shortcut to make some distinctive lettering.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:27:29 PM by ljudice »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
How much you want for yours Bryan!?

Mine's not complete.  The RailFont versions for CR (Consolidated) and PC (Jade Green) are excellent at a good price.  I purchased the Jade Green because I didn't feel like drawing PC numbers.  I would have bought the Consolidated if I had known about it prior to drawing my own.  The Pennsy I drew from that huge blue-covered compendium the PRRHTS had published.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net