Author Topic: Working brakes...  (Read 1372 times)

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
Working brakes...
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
 No,  I'm not crazy.... well,  not about this at least.   I just installed the test etches for the brake parts on one of my O scale wood beam trucks. The brakes work, pretty much just like the real ones. This means that adding working brakes to my cars is just a matter of building the kits, as the design works without too much fiddling. More detail and photos at http://usmrr.blogspot.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: Working brakes...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
Nice.  O scale looks like a slippery slope, I think I'll stay away for awhile!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
IIRC, San Juan makes O-scale and P:48 trucks with working brakes.  Unfortunately no roller-bearing trucks tho.  :'(

Ed

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »
IIRC, San Juan makes O-scale and P:48 trucks with working brakes.  Unfortunately no roller-bearing trucks tho.  :'(

Ed

I don't think Bernie cares about roller bearings.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »

Ed

I was unable to fit working brakes on the San Juan site. I also could bot find wood beam trucks appropriate for ACW. 

I have never seen a set of working air brakes on Z through O scale model car, though Randy Anderson of Hagerstown did make a few cars with working hand brakes in HO scale. These where 50s era freight cars, with much more complicated rigging than mine. Randy's freight cars are amazing. He gave me a tour of his shop once and showed me all  the specialized tools he developed to make master models of HO cars. He may have the best HO freight car fleet that I know of.

The beauty of my ACW cars is that the brake mechanism in the 1860s was very simple and was only on one truck per car. It is not that hard to do.