Author Topic: Feeling the pull of the dark side  (Read 5945 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
Getting back to topic, the one thing I would say is, before you go with a plan, spend some time looking at the area you're modeling on Bing's birds eye view. Note the way things relate and their spacing before trying to fit too much into a plan. For example, in David's plan above, there's no non-rail access to the one building at the top with the silos.

If you're just trying to fit as much railroad in as possible, that's fine, but if you want it to look more "real", you need more white space in the plan.
But seriously... Ed's right. Have a good look at the line you're modeling to get a feel for the features you'd like to include before jumping headlong into a plan. If you are going to N, then you have lots of options for the available space, including regions of "nothing" for added realism.
Absolutely, and relying on that will be key, but industries hemmed in by tracks are one of my personal pet peeves for things that seem more "model train layout" than reality.

Oh I agree. I have gandered at Google maps of a few areas...some are interesting enough, others have too much, so I'd have to pick and choose what would make it from reality to model.
I don't want a layout with what I've heard called "spaghetti bowl" trackage, and would like it to look realistic, albeit condensed understandably.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4265
    • Conrail 1285

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
Have you tried the Bing stuff?

It's amazing.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qjg8bp8mpbdw&scene=7162331&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=Kane%20St%2C%20Baltimore%2C%20MD%2021224

I have actually...I don't remember it sometimes but I've journeyed around the AKMD and the LRW lines on bing a bit.