Author Topic: Feeling the pull of the dark side  (Read 5948 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +6331
    • David's Modeling Journey
Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
Well, so maybe my eye isn't so far off after all. I just fired up a track planning tool and whipped up this plan in HO using Atlas Code 83 sectional and flex track. Minimum radius is 22", except for the left leg of the wye and one siding which are 18". Tossed in a couple of Walthers buildings from the object library just for scale reference.

EDIT: This was not rendered in Atlas RTS. It was done using AnyRail: http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:30:38 PM by David K. Smith »

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
That's a pretty cool rendition David, thanks. I have it printed out, going to see how it fits in the space with some track placing this evening.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
You may want to refresh the page and print out a new copy. I didn't verify the above plan against the original benchwork drawing, and there were some deviations, which I've fixed.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
Ok, hit a snag. Laid out some track down the east wall (the one with the window) and it just looks awful busy with the track, and doesn't look like much space for any structures other than flats against the room wall.

Maybe master Obi-Lee-Kenobi has been right all along...   8)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +956
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
I really like the plan...but I'm really into crossings right now.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
It is a great looking plan. I'm of the opinion though, if I'm going to go back to N scale for a layout in that room, I'd rather figure out a plan without a duck under or a liftout. I think with the 10x11' I can figure something out that will work well in there.

Back to the drawing board!! LOL

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
Ok, hit a snag. Laid out some track down the east wall (the one with the window) and it just looks awful busy with the track, and doesn't look like much space for any structures other than flats against the room wall.

That's more or less what was intended for that stretch. Given the scale and the space and the benchwork design, you more or less have a choice between the two, track or buildings.

Or... possibly just scenery instead of buildings. Don't need to fill up every square foot.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
Oh I think I've just been trying to fight a losing battle....for some reason my mind keeps trying to talk me into building an HO layout...when I know (and actually probably prefer deep down) that I would have more fun and get more pleasure out of building and operating an N scale layout in that space.

The scenery aspect is an appeal to me, and I (and a few HO'ers around here) kept telling me it could be done.

I'm in the minority in my area with HO to N hobbyists... sometimes I keep playing with the thought.

I think possibly a 24" x 8ft HO switching layout tucked underneath the main N layout would probably suffice for any HO bug I get...but if I am honest with myself, I think an N scale layout would be the best choice for this space........

:)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
I think possibly a 24" x 8ft HO switching layout tucked underneath the main N layout would probably suffice for any HO bug I get...but if I am honest with myself, I think an N scale layout would be the best choice for this space........

It should be pretty straightforward to scale David's plan down from HO to N.  Keeping the 18" - 22" radii curves and using longer turnouts like the Atlas C55 #7's and #10's would create a very aesthetic, graceful look IMHO.

For the HO layout you could also do something L-shaped, along two of the walls, even if one of them was only for staging.

BTW I just noticed that you said your room was 10x11 feet, but it looks like some of the drawings here are 10x12 feet, so some revisions may be needed to make things fit.

Ed

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »

It should be pretty straightforward to scale David's plan down from HO to N.  Keeping the 18" - 22" radii curves and using longer turnouts like the Atlas C55 #7's and #10's would create a very aesthetic, graceful look IMHO.

For the HO layout you could also do something L-shaped, along two of the walls, even if one of them was only for staging.

BTW I just noticed that you said your room was 10x11 feet, but it looks like some of the drawings here are 10x12 feet, so some revisions may be needed to make things fit.

Ed

Ed, it's basically 10x11; I took one of the two closets out of the room, so that gives me a nook that gives me another 30" x 58" area, which makes one wall actually 12' length. That's the difference.

True, and L shaped HO switching platform might be the way to go, place it underneath the main layout and utilize it from time to time. I think David did draw out one of the plans in N scale...have to figure out which one it was, or see if I can twist his arm into sending me a copy of it, or posting it on here again. ;)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
I think David did draw out one of the plans in N scale...have to figure out which one it was, or see if I can twist his arm into sending me a copy of it, or posting it on here again.

Nope, they're all HO. The earlier ones were "estimated" HO, but still pretty close. As Ed said, it can scale nicely to N as-is and make a nice lean, graceful layout with lots of room for growth.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »

Maybe master Obi-Lee-Kenobi has been right all along...   8)

So, won't you have to contemplate some of this for an HO switching layout?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4267
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
Maybe we can get Ed to build that in N scale... It's infinitely more interesting than what he's offered us so far...

I was thinking the same thing, but isn't Ed using unitrack and therefore he is restricted?

Who was looking to start a fight? That's it, outside by the dumpster at 3...

Just an FYI, tell me this isn't the hotness in progress:

Getting back to topic, the one thing I would say is, before you go with a plan, spend some time looking at the area you're modeling on Bing's birds eye view. Note the way things relate and their spacing before trying to fit too much into a plan. For example, in David's plan above, there's no non-rail access to the one building at the top with the silos.

If you're just trying to fit as much railroad in as possible, that's fine, but if you want it to look more "real", you need more white space in the plan.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
For example, in David's plan above, there's no non-rail access to the one building at the top with the silos.

Well, first, I just plopped that down as a size reference (to show there was room for industries), not as a recommendation on what exactly to do. And second, there is a world out beyond the edge of the layout that can contain those things that aren't explicitly modeled.

But seriously... Ed's right. Have a good look at the line you're modeling to get a feel for the features you'd like to include before jumping headlong into a plan. If you are going to N, then you have lots of options for the available space, including regions of "nothing" for added realism.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4267
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
For example, in David's plan above, there's no non-rail access to the one building at the top with the silos.

Well, first, I just plopped that down as a size reference (to show there was room for industries), not as a recommendation on what exactly to do. And second, there is a world out beyond the edge of the layout that can contain those things that aren't explicitly modeled.

Absolutely, and relying on that will be key, but industries hemmed in by tracks are one of my personal pet peeves for things that seem more "model train layout" than reality.