Author Topic: What's Up with Yellow Safety Stipes?  (Read 3692 times)

pogopod

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: What's Up with Yellow Safety Stipes?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
How about something (decal?) that is actually reflective instead of just yellow?

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »
I think it's hard enough to get the resolution we'd like with simple dots of ink, let alone trying to make those dots prismatic.  I just don't think the resolution is there with anything that'd be reflective.
-Mark

inkaneer

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
"Also, IIRC priority was given to tank cars as they were responsible for a majority of the accidents at crossings."

You must not be recalling correctly.  Idiot and drunk drivers were responsible for the majority of the accidents at crossings.  Stupid truckers tend to target tank cars.

"Looks like for 2007 a mix with and without safety stripes will be appropriate."

Great... someone else falling for the "politically correct" garbage... Give me a UP GEVO or ECO with a proper red stripe anyday!!!

If you would speak to accident prevention people they would tell you that accidents at grade crossings are cause by grade crossings.   Best thing the PRR ever did was to eliminate grade crossings in the 1930's on its "broadway" through New Jersey.  Current highway design seeks to eliminate situations where opposing forces intersect on the same plane, like crossings at grade.  Unfortunately bridges and underpasses are more expensive than human life but decals are cheaper.