Author Topic: Quality N-Scale F45?  (Read 1881 times)

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Quality N-Scale F45?
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
Does one exist yet?  I'm a little out of the loop.

What about MP36's in HO?  MP36 in S or G Scale?

Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Quality N-Scale F45?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
Yep!

Never thought you'd see the day, eh?

Not really, no.

Not Atlas.   :-\

No Undecs?

Hmmm, are they truly quality kit?  I recall Athearn product being quite the hit or miss (mostly miss) proposition.

Or am I misremembering.  Been a while.

You know, I'm thinking the combo of an F45, and some kind soul buying me a copy of Tom Mann's fine book, might just be enough inspiration to get me back in the hobby.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:57:53 PM by Warfish »
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
The Athearn units are considered to be high-quality.  Haven't read any negative press on them.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Here's your loco Warfish:

[MB Klein photo]

Athearn quality through and through!  In truth, the ATSF unit I have is very nice, so don't be dissuaded by the tape and lack of a windshield on this undec... (though I'm not sure what's up with that).   :-\

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

Athearn quality through and through!  In truth, the ATSF unit I have is very nice, so don't be dissuaded by the tape and lack of a windshield on this undec... (though I'm not sure what's up with that).   :-\

I believe the undecs give you the option of the upper headlight which is part of the windshield.

Jason

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
I believe the undecs give you the option of the upper headlight which is part of the windshield.

Jason

Good for Athearn!  These are nice locos.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »

Jason

Pretty sure mine didn't have both different windshields in them, but rather are ordered with the correct one.

Great units.  Pull nicely due to their extremely high weight.  I haven't had the opportunity to hear the sound unit in one to remark on that, but I've been tempted more than a few times to buy one.  I'm just afraid that I'd seriously refuse to operate with anything else after hearing it.  Just the one time I heard a good one at a show (I forget the vendor's name now, he did custom sound on LokSound decoders think, I know he was a BNSF engineer) was enough to make seriously consider it.
-Mark

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »

Jason

Pretty sure mine didn't have both different windshields in them, but rather are ordered with the correct one.

Great units.  Pull nicely due to their extremely high weight.  I haven't had the opportunity to hear the sound unit in one to remark on that, but I've been tempted more than a few times to buy one.  I'm just afraid that I'd seriously refuse to operate with anything else after hearing it.  Just the one time I heard a good one at a show (I forget the vendor's name now, he did custom sound on LokSound decoders think, I know he was a BNSF engineer) was enough to make seriously consider it.

Yeah, that's right.  You could order which 'style' you wanted, GN, MILW, ATSF.

Thanks,

Jason

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
Hey Alex,
Good ta see ya again!! Are you thinking of resurrecting the old roads or is this a new endeavour?
I have several Athearn F45 and FP45 with sound, they run well and the detailing is crisp. The sound is good.

Al

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
The F45s(FP45s) look to be the 1st quality diesel that Athearn has done in N scale (all the previous ones were various levels of sub-par).

Mark

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
    Yes ,Excellent quality, I have both non DCC Sound locos and one Sound DCC lokie. The only anoying fault, it is a small one ,the DCC unit can be run on DC and you get a nice engine rev up and operating sound,also a bell at start ,but the really nice sounding horn is programed to go off every 30 seconds as you are driving your locomotive around "W-a-a-a-a" "W-a-a-a-a" "W-a" Crossing signal sequence. Very anoying unless you have access to someones DCC programing track to shut this off when usuing it on DC Power. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.U.S.A. "Welcome back to active model railroading !"