Author Topic: Starting a layout this weekend  (Read 9912 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
Re: Starting a layout this weekend
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
Okay...  Now my real post.

First off, awesome that you're going to start this weekend.  However, not so awesome that it seems like a rather dramatic departure from what you've been talking about doing for some time now.  As such, I wonder if you've had a chance to give this new plan as much thought as might be warranted.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about it isn't thrilling me.  Maybe it's just the rigid geometry of the software you're using.  I understand this isn't "all there is" regarding trackage...  The trackage you do have is a little confusing.  I like the long drill track out of the yard.  I'm less clear as to what's going on with those stubby curved sidings near what I assume is the brewery (unless they will be extended).

Would an abbreviated engine terminal help you out?  Add a layer of ops...  Have the power for the industrial local have to drop back for fuel periodically.  Maybe a Pikestuff pre-fab enginehouse and a fueling pad.  Just a thought.

Maybe if it had more reference points like general scenic or industrial features it would be easier to visualize.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Agree with Dave.  You need at least a small engine facility with a fuel and sand rack.  Doesn't have to be big.  Also where does this branch meet up with the rest of Conrail?  Need a connection there.

NorfolkSouthern9708

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
I have to agree with Dave as well. Then we can see all your power together and Conrail Queens will rejoice!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
No engine facility. I think that, unless you're modeling a larger facility, they don't make sense. CR didn't have one at Frankford Jct, who's ops I'm patterning this somewhat after There will be a pit track though, where the local power sits and gets gassed by a truck (if needed).

Yes, I know this is all rather different from the "big plan", but I think its the next step in my modeling evolution. I want something like this under my belt before I take on something even bigger (and more expensive).

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »
shelves would give you some nice open storage underneath... i like that part.

I also like the fact that you are taking a step forward with it.

lay some track, see where it takes ya.  I know you have put some thought into it, and it also looks like you have left yourself some flexibility.

sometimes the hardest part is getting started.

EP (giver of free useless advise ;D)

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
I think it's an interesting plan Ed.

I don't have a problem with the yard where it is and that the center of it is curved.  The location shouldn't be problem, with there being an aisle right there.   What I would consider doing is running a scenic divider down the center of that section so that you can not only separate the yard from the rest but will make for better photo possibilities.

Lots of folks have the center of their yards curved– It doesn't seem to present an issue.

As far as using hollow doors to get a jump-start on things... I think that's a good idea.

I'll tell you what, as I've thinking about the mega-time I have invested in my benchwork, installing and shaping the extruded foam, installing the fascia and such, I realize that so much of the early part of participating in this hobby is spent as a "contractor" and not really as a model railroader. 

I think any one thing that can been done to speed up the process shouldn't be dismissed. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
Oh yeah, did I forget to mention? There will definitely be a divider down the center, eswsentially making it a shelf styled layout.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »
Thanks for making my point perfectly Michael. That's exactly why I'm skipping it.

I know the gangs around to help out, but who knows when that'll work out?

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 04:57:03 AM »
Hmm I think I'm with Dave on this one, while there's nothing wrong with the plan per se, I think it looks a little unadventurous for you. Are you sure you're not simply (and understandably) trying to skip the bit you like least - benchwork - to get to the good stuff, whilst at the same time hamstringing future potential (scenic and ops) by this short cut?

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
I dunno if I'd be too tough on the plan at this point.

Outside of the where the mainline would go and maybe something that takes up a lot of space, i.e. yard, I don't think I'd waste a lot of time on anything else. 

The fact is once Ed starts laying track things are going to open-up as far as what spur should go here or what industry should go there.  Not too mention the final shape of the mainline can vary a great deal once you see it laying there on top of the foam.

So much of what makes a layout interesting in my opinion is the scenic element, which you're not going to get a glimpse of at this juncture.  Ed has a good feel for scenery and urban modeling so I think the final result will be something that we can all say, "Job well done".

Finally, when it comes to laying out a track-plan on paper or the computer screen, the most interesting plans are complicated and not exactly realistic, with loops here and track doubling back over itself... In other words "spaghetti-bowlish". 

If you're going to design a track-plan that does not have the main going through a scene more than once, then the resulting plan is going to look kinda "vanilla".

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
Thanks for making my point perfectly Michael. That's exactly why I'm skipping it.

1.  I've got no plans for Monday . . .
2.  I have aa modest amount of surplus L-grider in my gardenshed from a prior Craigslist haul.  Lee got a lot o fthe odds and ends, but I have more to donate to the cause, and a trailer and battery operated tools . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »

By the way, benchwork is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby.  That and tracklaying.  If you change your mind, let me know.

DFF

Dave,
Now you say that! I am almost done laying track, not my favorite, though I like wiring less. But, I still have some track that has to go down....

Ed,  

Any plans for an actual steel mill on the layout? I have a slightly used blast furnace that is looking for a home. Maybe we can make deal?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:11:08 AM by AlkemScaleModels »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
Nope, no real still mill. The one thing that your book made VERY clear is that it absolutely eats up space, and modeling time. Besides, the class one action at them was usually pretty far removed from the mill.

However, as I mentioned, your book really started me on the path to this concept. I saw your N scale Sparrows Point plan, and thought "well, what about modeling the other side of Browns yard?" from there I came up with this, where browns yard would've been in the upper left (where the current yard is). I was going to focus that section on the branch, where the mill was at the end (justifying more than the single local on it).

I realized that I didn't quite want to get into building ALL of that plan (right now), so I scaled it back a bit (to this one).

However, you'll see there's still a lot of basement left, so hmm... that mill does sound tempting. Is that the whole Alkem Steel complex? Or just some structures?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »

1.  I've got no plans for Monday . . .
2.  I have aa modest amount of surplus L-grider in my gardenshed from a prior Craigslist haul.  Lee got a lot o fthe odds and ends, but I have more to donate to the cause, and a trailer and battery operated tools . . .

I do appreciate it, but I honestly don't think L girder will work in the space without seriously hurting the paneling in the room (which I don't want to do because it's actually real wood, and difficult to replace/repair).

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
I say go for it.  Any time you're "doing something" in model railroading you're making the right choice.

One of my mentors in this hobby is big on "if you don't have space for THE layout, build something smaller and start building structures. (with THE layout in mind, of course)  The structures will carry over and when you do get space and time...voila your structures are there already."

I'm going through kinda the same thing, although more like "restarting a layout".  I have benchwork, some track, and some wiring, but then hit a wall.   I'm moving starting tonight and the layout will actually have a little more space now. (not crammed in a corner and sharing space with two dozen other space hogs.)  I've eliminated all excuses...it's put up or shut up time for me!   :o  ;)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.