Author Topic: Brass Car Sides and curling the skirts....  (Read 1571 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Brass Car Sides and curling the skirts....
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »
As ACME labs nears completion of the last of the GP-20's for the LRV, I took on another project NKP building some passenger cars. I need some suggestions on curling the full skirts on the cars. I was thinking steel rod, and wood blocks. Wood being forgiving enough to not kill the details nor hurt the stainless plating. Any thoughts?

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Brass Car Sides and curling the skirts....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »

Just use right tool for job.

Yuri
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:42:58 PM »
... I was thinking steel rod, and wood blocks. Wood being forgiving enough to not kill the details nor hurt the stainless plating. Any thoughts?

That should work.  I've used that method.  With fluted sides I've also used needlenose pliers and slowly bent the skirts one or two flute rows at a time, since the flutes hide any slight imperfections in the bending process.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
Yuri

In Soviet Russia, steel bend you!

That should work.  I've used that method.  With fluted sides I've also used needlenose pliers and slowly bent the skirts one or two flute rows at a time, since the flutes hide any slight imperfections in the bending process.

I'm leary about using the needle nose pliers. Might try metalworking pliers that are used for bending sheet material if I go that route. I'm slightly worried that the plated material might be chrome (I've figured out it's not stainless). If anybody knows old cars, you know that chrome flakes over age or due to bending. I think I'm going to pick up some sheet brass and try various methods of bending first. In the interim I can at least get the cores built.

The S.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:44:20 AM by sizemore »