Author Topic: Videos from Dave Vaughn's O Scale NKP  (Read 1701 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7947
    • Conrail 1285
Videos from Dave Vaughn's O Scale NKP
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
Over the weekend, thanks to our own seusscaboose, I got the opportunity to visit and run Dave Vaughn's awesome O scale layout.

Dave focuses on the NKP, but has incorporated sections of John Armstrong's famous Canandaigua Southern that he acquired after John's passing. Much of the layout is still unsceniced, or in process of being restored.

I can easily see the appeal of this stuff. Way too impractical for my tastes, but extremely impressive!

I ran two trains over the course of the day. A reefer train with, as Dave pointed out, the power that really belonged on a coal train, and a short freight powered by an iconic NKP Berk.

Both featured sound. It was really impressive, and even more when viewed from the perspective of an O Scale railfan through the lens of my Motorola Droid.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Videos from Dave Vaughn's O Scale NKP
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
WAY COOL!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
That must be a massive layout. How big is it?

In your videos I truly can't tell that it is an O Scale layout. I think because the layout is so big it is hard to envision it and the detail is not too clear. So it looks like a smaller scale to me.

I love when the O scale trains start up and the slack runs out of the cars. That's hard to capture in N scale.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
It's big. Many levels, all over the place in his basement. Hmm... I'll let Eric (Seusscaboose) chime in on the actual dimensions. He probably knows.

And yeah, slack is WILD on this. A lot of it is on a grade, and a number of times I was concerned I'd blow out some draft gear as I was getting familiar with the RSDs throttle response.

I also realized that having working air brakes would've been nice too, especially when you have a break in the train and cars start rolling down hill. Fast. Times like that it would've been nice to have the train go into emergency.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Dave's is a good time (although he likes vistors to be a coordinated effort b/c his layout is in a state of repair, not lke Howard's where it is always ready).  I would guess that 75% of the time you are on a grade of some sort.  The dimensions have to be at least 90 x 15.  Long and narrow and as Ed said, multiple levels, folded dogbones all over the place.

The cool thing is that trains are now running and now scenery can begin in earnest.  View blocks, industries, etc. can be worked in.  You need to remember, this is actually 3 layouts stitched into one (Dave's, Armstrong's and Stepeck's (sp)) so getting it operational was about 9 months in the making.  And remember, it couldn't be made operational until it was cobbled together (hand laid track and turnouts and elevated curves etc.).

It really is something to see the thing operating.  Plus Dave is great and very cordial.

it reminds you that inspiration comes from all scales and from various levels of completion (plywood plains to artistic masterpieces that happen to have trains running through them).  You see that here regularly on Weekend Update, where actual modelling is displayed and can lead to inspiration.

I need to pull togther a work crew (ballasting) and go over again.  Lemme tell you how O Scale ballasting is EASY PEAZY when compared to N scale.  I can only imagine doing it in Z scale (or heaven forbid smaller).

Time stands still when you are down there, you look up and a few hours have whizzed by.

EP

p.s. you gotta admit, those Berk's were nice.  ;)
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »
They were really sweet. I also loved the RSDs. They did a great job feeling "massive" and powerful. I now completely understand why there's the love for O scale.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
I'm in for the ballasting ..

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
I'm in for the ballasting ..

noted.

I need to keep the team's small in # b/c of aisle width, but i will put ya on Da' List.

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

choochin3

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
Holy smokes! I had totally forgoten about this. Doh!!!
Maybe next time.

Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
Holy smokes! I had totally forgoten about this. Doh!!!
Maybe next time.

the oppt'y arises every 6 months or so... depending on when our schedules (Dave travels a lot and already has a standing op's session with the O Scale crew plus my schedule is Customer-centric) align and how many spot's he has open (he tells me).  It really is kinda a last minute deal.  Doh!!!

if you really need your NKP fix, there's always Chez' Payne, but it doesn't compare to Dave's.

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at: