Author Topic: new member/ washington old dominion railroad in layout in development  (Read 2657 times)

wodfan

hello all,
my name is kevin, im located(now) in chambersburg pa, formally of mclean va, ive recently decided to get back into ho scale, i forgot how costly this hobby is >:(.anyway. im taking a bold new approch to to my layout of the w&od railroad,for the ones that dont know, it was a shortline that ran though
northern va from 1847-1968/69. im modeling it after its later , and final years, 65-68. due to space restrictions, i will be mounting my layout on a shelving
that will run around the walls of one room, this is still in its planning stages. i hope to start building the shelving in week or to.

kevin

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
Welcome aboard Kevin!  We have tons of DC area residents here, and so your W&OD layout will be of great interest.  Feel free to post early an doften, and don't forget the pictures, plans, etc.  These guys may run you through a wringer from time to time, but they really want you to succeed!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
Nice! It's great to have you.

Too bad VARR Alex doesn't actively hang out around here much any more, he was really into the W&OD too.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Welcome.  Sure weird how people move around.  I was born in Chambersburg and now live in Camp Springs, MD.  I do remember seeing portions of the W&OD years ago when I first came to the DC area.  Lots of luck and keep up posted on your layout.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
hello all,
my name is kevin, im located(now) in chambersburg pa, formally of mclean va, ive recently decided to get back into ho scale, i forgot how costly this hobby is >:(.anyway. im taking a bold new approch to to my layout of the w&od railroad,for the ones that dont know, it was a shortline that ran though
northern va from 1847-1968/69. im modeling it after its later , and final years, 65-68. due to space restrictions, i will be mounting my layout on a shelving
that will run around the walls of one room, this is still in its planning stages. i hope to start building the shelving in week or to.

kevin

It is a neat prototype to model. Do it as it currently is - a bike trail and you'll save a lot of money. You can have a model figure showing my son crashing off the trail.

Or better yet, model it when it was the AL&H during the ACW in O Scale.  SMR Trains is going to release the Clark, which I believe was a former AL&H loco.

wodfan

heck yeah!
i like the bike trail idea. no track. no cars,  ;D

kevin

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
lol, welcome!

I was born and raised in the DC area and have always some interest in the local railroads, even though my heart is in the coal country where my grandparents lived.

Mark

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
Where was the line/terminal in Rosslyn? My sister lives there and I'll be in the vicinity for her graduation on Thursday.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Where was the line/terminal in Rosslyn? My sister lives there and I'll be in the vicinity for her graduation on Thursday.

One of the advantages of most of the line being a bike trail is the fact that it's still easy to "railfan" - and at least research the route if not the trains!

For the station at Rosslyn, see:

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=24926

Marty

Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Nice! It's great to have you.

Too bad VARR Alex doesn't actively hang out around here much any more, he was really into the W&OD too.

It IS too bad isn't it?  You folks surely missed my witty banter and insightful industry insider knowledge, right? :P

Ah, the W&OD, one of Virginia's biggest missed oportunities and shortsighted decisions.  So typical for this region, tbh.

While I do have some knowledge on the W&OD's history (and at least one good source book on the subject), most of my own modeling efforts were tied to the fictional Virginia Atlantic RR (VARR), of which the W&OD and it's trackage was a psudo-fictional shortline subsidiary, given that my modeling efforts were of the late 70's, 80's era (with some flex of course, not much of a detail/rivetcounter guy), a time long past the W&OD's dissolution. 

I'll have to go find my old modeling archive, and see if I still have any of my W&OD equipment shots, think I had a few Boxcars, an Ortner, and.....at least one SD9 if I recall.  All 100% fictional (the real thing ran precious little tbh) of course, with a protolanced combined "real" logo and additional freelanced elements.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
I was born and raised in the DC area

I feel sorry for you.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Mark5

• Crew
Re: new member/ washington old dominion railroad in layout in development
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
I was born and raised in the DC area

I feel sorry for you.

Lol. why?

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
Too many people for one thing, too many elected folks for another.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »

Deep.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »

Stop sending the idiots to us and DC won't be so bad off. Seriously, everyone loathes the District because of the politics, why do you keep voting them in?

Back to the W&OD... with Bachmann's 44-tonner and the announced 70-tonner, it could be done in N scale and, of course, you could fit more of it into your limited space.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:54:36 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.