Author Topic: Color LaserJet toner-created decals applied over dark paint - does it work?  (Read 1987 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
A general question.  With the high resolution color laser printers available, I've printed photo-based color mural decals to apply on white-painted models, as shown below. 

It takes more effort to get the decal film to conform to the surface relief but I've been pleased with the final results.  Since toner is far more opaque than the transparent output of InkJet-type printers, will toner-printed decals cover dark paint?  Has anyone tried?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
No, it still doesn't work. :(

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Would it work for the painted signs on old buildings. I have a few in my area that still have them. They're pretty transparent.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
What printer do you use Bryan? I'm currently in the market for a color laser for similar projects.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
What printer do you use Bryan? I'm currently in the market for a color laser for similar projects.

Remember my Smurftastic test from a few years ago? 

I would go with a high resolution ink jet, unless you want to print primarily black letters.

Most affordable color Lasers are 600x600dpi and the halftone pattern is obvious in photos.  I have a new HP1518 laser and it is only sightly better than the sample above.  If you can afford a 1200x1200dpi laser, that might work, but I haven't been able to test one.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
I may have to do some testing on the newer models. Most of the work this printer will be doing is for print (not photos) and wanted to try doing decals as well. I may still go with one of the Canon Pixma PRO printers.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net

HP LaserJet 2605C.  Tom may not like it but I don't have a problem with the results.  I also print the artwork at 2,400 dpi and you can't see the pixels.  Also, toner doesn't smear and is waterproof.  Works great for white, gray or silver painted models.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:29:21 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net