Author Topic: Documenting a rail line's last breath  (Read 676 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Documenting a rail line's last breath
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
There has been rampent speculation for about two years that CSX will be closing off freight traffic East of Worcester, MA in the near future. The reasons are many but mostly due to the extreamly sucessful expansion of the MBTA, easilly the best regional commuter railroad for a city of its size.

Its been over a decade since Conrail operated the rails. While the car loadings have changed somewhat, no cryo cars anymore but tons of trash flats and scrap cars, the overall picture has remained fairly stable.

Starting with my first camera purchase in 2003 I have been documenting the freight cars on the line. I started mostly shooting the cars I remembered from the 1990's. Over the past two years I have been trying to shoot the overall picture of treight trains in the area. This includes newer cars as well as the onler ones I used to focus on. Right now I have about 8-10,000 photos of rolling stock and infastructure in and around Framingham and Worcester.

I hope this information will someday help me reconstruct the prototypical freight car operations and movements. This information is too valuble to loose and time is running out.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
Re: Documenting a rail line's last breath
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
I don't see how they could eliminate traffic east of Worcester. I know they planned on selling the line to MBTA, as well as closing Beacon Park, but the Leominster Branch, Readville traffic, and Grafton & Upton should keep some trains as far as Framingham. Even then there is New England Produce and the Scrap Traffic in Chelsea and Everett which would probably justify a local east of Framingham unless they choose to hand it over to Pan Am.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
The plan is to use Worcester for the intermodal terminus, Westboro for everything else. The little freight traffic left East of Wesboro would be sold of to a local line, with much being transfered to Guilford. What is left would be a ghost of its former self and would not even remotely resemble traffic in 1998.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
You know, presenting all the photos would be a wonderful project to be supported by a Historical Society, you know, if Conrail had one... oh wait :D

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
Ed, these are all post-Conrail photos. I do have some pictures of conrail equipment I could post, but most of it has been renumbered.