Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/25/2010  (Read 8016 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 4/25/2010
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Show and tell time

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
Re: Weekend Update 4/25/2010
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

Richie Dost

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
It's been awhile, but I finally finished a few pieces I had been working on.  Still more on the bench for some guys that like weird stuff...  ;)

BNSF Tanker:

Northern Pacific Auto Parts Boxcars:

Albany & North Eastern Passenger GP9 (Customers Private Road)

Albany & North Eastern GP40 Shell:

Finally got around to finishing the details on this C44-9W (including the road number change):

eNjoy.

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »
No photos to share this week, just some news.  We've had a few contractors and an architect come by our house to talk about finishing a 400 sq ft unfinished basement.  Hopefully in a few months, I'll get to start my own "follow the building of the PRR" thread!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
A couple of goodies from my trip west to Portland, Oregon this week...

First, I visited to Vic's Hobby Supply on Broadway... Vic himself invited me down to see the O scale empire down in the basement.  He's been scratch building UP Passenger cars, among other things, with incredible detail.

Next, I hiked around Portland to take in some of the sights.  Since it was April, I didn't have to worry about ... er... sun angle....

The MAX light rail.  You can ride it for free to get around much of the downtown.  I also rode it back and forth to the Airport for $2.30.  Quite a bargain.  Unlike here in the east, in Portland when the roads get clogged up, they don't build more lanes, they build more rails... there's a lesson in that somewhere.

Here's one of the many commuter trains that run between the cities of the northwest.  This one is actually going west across the river (that's the pusher going backward).  This bridge is neat because the lower deck can lift independently of the upper deck, so barge traffic can pass with minimal disruption to road and light rail traffic above.

and of course, Portland's Union Station is magnificent temple of the railroader's art!

That evening, I caught up with Doug O'Grady from here on the forums, and he graciously drove me up Vancouver Avenue to the Columbia Gorge Model Railroad Club.  Everyone I met there was friendly and welcoming, and the layout is a magnificent rendering of the local geography.

The visitor aisle represents the Columbia River, with the layout representing the railroading that takes place on the north and south banks.  This is the view from the operator's pit.

The layout is extremely well detailed, and well worth a trip across the continent to see!  Here's the rest of the photos I took during my visit.

Special thanks to Doug and the rest of the crew at the CG club.

Wednesday was a night of merriment with my new colleagues.  We stumbled in to the Green Dragon, which deserves to be modeled.

This part of the bar is open seasonally, and main part is in a big old garage building across a courtyard.  There were many noms and suds enjoyed by all.

Thursday, Rick Ernst met me at Hobbysmith's, and we checked out the Ntrak club's rig in the basement.

Rick scratched out many of the structures on the club's modules.

We left there and headed to the home of Rob Carey, who has an amazing N scale layout depicting Tennessee Pass in Colorado.  Rob's been published several times, most recently in N Scale Railroading.

That's Rob on the left, me in the middle and Rick.  These are some top notch model railroaders, and really nice guys as well.  But enough of that... here's the layout:

Royal Gorge

Absolutely amazing!  But wait!  There's more.  We left Rob's, then went to Rick's house...  He's not quite as far along as Rob, but this layout is going to be blow mind when it's done.

As you enter the room, you find yourself in the Columbia River Gorge, looking at the main line of the Spokane, Portland and Seattle ...

The town of Camas will host a giant paper mill, one of the major industries on the SP&S.

As you can see, Rick is a real hatchet man when it comes to scenery.

He also likes to tinker with structures.

The whole presentation is outstanding, and sets some pretty high standards for both operation and a appearance.  I couldn't have been more impressed with the work of both Rob and Rick.  And again, the best part is they're both as welcoming and friendly as you can be.  My thanks to Doug, Rob and Rick for helping me have such an enjoyable time during my stay in Portland.  I can't wait to go back!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »
That's awesome Lee - what a great trip!  Nice work Brian, especially 745.   :)

I've been tinkering with BLMA trucks on some of my fleet but I've been bogging down on coupler options, so I've set those aside and have gone back to work on my '70MAC.  Broke out the soldering iron and the GMM stanchions to try out some handrails.  Don't know quite where this path will lead yet...

-gfh

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »
Well, Lee's is a tough act to follow. Anyway...

Now, don't laugh too hard, please. Around 1974-75, back when N Scale Shays were rarer than hen's teeth, I bashed one together using a Minitrix FM chassis and an Arnold Rapido 0-6-0 shell. Although it's admittedly embarrassing by today's modeling standards (not to mention that it was never finished), it actually compares to a real Shay somewhat more favorably than the Joe Works brass model from 1983. On and off over the past couple of years I've been restoring it to its as-built condition, and now here's No. 6, warts and all:

If anyone is interested in how I built my little Frankenshay, I published a three-part article starting here: http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_16.htm
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:53:44 PM by David K. Smith »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »
Finally got around to finishing the details on this C44-9W (including the road number change):

Nice work Brian!  The re-numbering turned out great! The factory Kato numbers can be tricky to remove, what did you use to take them off?   It doesn't look like you disturbed any of the underlying paint.

Ed

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
Great that you had that camera replacement for that very well documented trip Lee . Wonderful to see . Thanks

Richie Dost

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
SNFF 2010 04 25 N

Hi, all,

I don't post much these days due to being flat out busy with work and family.

That having been said, I still do the NMRA Pacific Coast Region, Coast Division
Show and Tell, Model Contest, and webmastering.

Here's the URL to 86 pretty cool photos from the Coast Division March 2010 meet.

:-)

http://www.pcrnmra.org/coast/contest/Contest_March_2010.shtml

Alvin Ho's freelance Great Northern SD40-2 (Alvin is 13 years old!):

Paul has an article coming out in the May/June N Scale Magazine, and I took the pictures :-).

Finally, some great Z scale stuff too by Robert Ray:

There's a ton more great photos at the above URL, ranging across Z, N, HO, and O.  Photos as well.
Tons of inspiration, you'll enjoy it.

Finally, to counter the claim that "model railroaders are all greying guys, where are the
you ones?" .... here's 13 year Alvin Ho doing the TimeSaver Switching Contest and obviously
enjoying it.

Check out Alvin's two superdetailed N scale models at the above web page as well.

Enjoy  :-) .

John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
wm3798, thx for the great Portland report.  :-)   Really enjoyed it.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
Some of that stuff is so good I just wanna cry................

The passenger car lowering festival is in it's thrid week....yawn ! :-\

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Mon Dieu!! Holy Crap, Lee, those are some incredible layouts-- the N Trak module on a curve with the water on the inside- Yowsa, and Rob's work is even more incredible than previously depicted in the magazines! Thanks for the photos!

As for me, working on side 2 of the EEC project boxcar...
Jan

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »

Nice work Brian!  The re-numbering turned out great! The factory Kato numbers can be tricky to remove, what did you use to take them off?   It doesn't look like you disturbed any of the underlying paint.

Ed

Hi Ed,

91% alcohol and a rag takes Kato lettering right off without upsetting the paint below it.  Just rub lightly with the rag in the area required.

Thanks,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742