Author Topic: RDC Phases?  (Read 2057 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
RDC Phases?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
So I just got done with a midterm and to relax I am leafing through NP In Color Vol. 2, admiring the NP's RDCs. Then something catches my eye...

Most of the RDCs pictured look like all the other RDCs I've seen and the MARC units I saw as a boy in person - flat faced with a flat area above the nose door with an inset headlight. But one of the NP units, RDC3 B-41 is different. It has a very sloped front roofline with a headlight that tapers out and above it at the front. It also has windows on the nose that aren't as tall as the rest and numberboards above them where the other units have no numberboards at all. And, the corrugated sheet that is on the side of the unit under the window line, is used on the side doors (the other units have no corrugation on the side doors immediately behind the nose) and the corrugation wraps around the nose and meets at the nose door,

I know the WP units, which the NP purchased and the Kato models are of the simpler design. Was this a feature of the RDC3 or did the RDC design have phases?

I looked around online and found some pics:

Unit with fancy nose:

Unit with plain jane nose:

Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: RDC Phases?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
I'm no expert, but you are correct. There were at least two versions of the RDC. I believe the lower version was the earlier phase.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2228
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
I think Frank has it backwards, but yep, there were multiple phases.

Athearn did the other one in HO, that's how I know about them, but I can't quickly find a pic online (google fail...).

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »
Yeah, IIRC one phase has the larger windows on the end. There may be other subtle items but I think the ends demark the two primary "phases" (all based on my google research, which may or may not be reliable).

Mark

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2228
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
The headlights and fluting on the ends too. Those are the giveaways for me.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
I like the fluting and headlight on that version.  My all time favorite is this one.  So ugly it's cute:

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:43:46 PM »
"Yeah, IIRC one phase has the larger windows on the end. There may be other subtle items but I think the ends demark the two primary "phases" (all based on my google research, which may or may not be reliable)."

Mark hit it right on the head as far as two phases.  The phase II had smaller end windows, the headlight moved up (in part because some roads wanted diaphragms on the ends) and had the number board moved to the front.  Also there was a slight redesign of the radiator bulge which included additional screening being applied to it, changes to the stainless steel trim around the doors and and some cars (but not all by any means) had additional corrugation over the vestibule doors and wrapping around to the front (PGE/BCOL are great examples of this).  While the raised headlight part is available from Miniatures by Eric I wish that somehow we could get the other parts needed to really do a correct phase II.  At one point there was talk of someone doing it but never saw it completed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:46:26 PM by jmlaboda »

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »
I'm wondering if one could photo etch new ends for the cars? It could probably done so that one wouldn't have to remove the end of the car.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +829
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:25 AM »
The headlight shroud was a key spotting feature of the Phase II cars.  Miniatures By Eric has just released resin parts for the headlight shrouds and the RDC pilots.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 12:35:29 AM »
You would be better off if they were done in resin... trying to apply an etched piece would still mean that you have to dress it up around the part so as to make it smooth, which would be very difficult.

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
Here's another great example of a Phase II with all the trim, BN 2350...
http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?april10/04-18-10/GN2350_Havre_MT.jpg

Compare the detail to the Kato RDCs and you will see a number of differences, aside from the wrap-around corrugation.