Author Topic: A Western Maryland question please (well, 2!)  (Read 1110 times)

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
A Western Maryland question please (well, 2!)
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
Hello WM experts!

I have 2 questions please. I like WM's variety of diesels, and as my layout is intended to be "West Virginia generic" I suppose C&O steam, or WM diesels (maybe not at the same time!) would look right at home. Is there a model in N of the AS-16 available anywhere, and/or a DRS-4-4?

And 2, are there any books that have pics, track plans, etc of a coal branch operated by WM? I dont know much about them beyond the pretty stretch that ran along the Potomac (R.I.P.)

Thanks, Tim
Just say no to dummy couplers.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: A Western Maryland question please (well, 2!)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
There are no N scale AS-16's that I'm aware of.  There may be some obscure brass models from the deep dark past, but I've never seen one.  If you're modeling Elkins and environs, RS-3's ruled the roost.  The Baldwins stayed up closer to the terminals at Maryland Jct. and Hagerstown, as they needed a bit more attention from the mechanical department... Which is why they were mostly gone by the early 60's

The best synopsis of the WM's operations is a book titled "Fireballs and Black Diamonds".  Not much in the way of track charts, but lots of pictures, and very detailed discussion of the operations during the last decade of the WM's independence.  There's usually a copy floating around on ebay, and you can usually find one used on Amazon.  The second edition was released in the early 1990's, and includes more about the Post Chessie era.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
ty much, works for me, i really like RS-3s anyway (just cute somehow, if "cute" is a word one can apply to a locomotive).

Ill look for fireballs and black diamonds (an early edition, my opinion of chessie is about the same as yours)

Tim
Just say no to dummy couplers.

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »
Lifelike did a couple of Western Maryland RS2s in the Fireball paint scheme that you may be able to find.  I have a couple and they run very well, and are an easy DCC conversion.  Also, Intermountain did Western Maryland F7s in the Speed scheme, and I think maybe Fireball as well.  In later years, the Western Maryland did use the F7s up in West Virginia, as you will see if you get hold of Fireballs and Black Diamonds.  Lifelike also did the Western Maryland BL2s, twice.  In the last version, one was in Fireball and the other was in Speed.  The BL2s weren't up in West Virginia, but who can resist them?  Actually, BL2 #82 is up there now, come to think of it.