Author Topic: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers  (Read 4556 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »
0
The N&WHS commissioned Bowser to produce two six packs of it's GLa decorated for VGN H3 class twin hoppers.

http://www.nwhs.org/commissary/models.html (see about midway down)

N&WHS blurb:
The VGN H3 hoppers served from 1910 until 1953 when the last H3 was retired. The six-car pack of VGN H3s offered by the N&WHS has been exclusively lettered for the society by Bowser. The lettering style is taken from the official Virginian lettering diagram dated January 1923 and represents the lettering on most H3s from 1916 through World War II.

The VGN Class H3 was based on the PRR Gla so this is a pretty good match body style wise.


(HO Version)

The price is nice too.

Like N&W coal, these cars could be seen on many roads.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:46:21 AM by NandW »


2-8-8-0

  • Guest
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:10:29 AM »
0
I could use some of these. Forgive my ignorance, but whats the difference between these and the Athearn cars? I saw a 6 pack of athearn VGN twins at the LHS, but didnt pick 'em up (was planning to, not enough $$ at the time).

Kiasutha

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 113
  • Respect: 0
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
0
I could use some of these. Forgive my ignorance, but whats the difference between these and the Athearn cars? I saw a 6 pack of athearn VGN twins at the LHS, but didnt pick 'em up (was planning to, not enough $$ at the time).
Guess I missed something. Happens when you've been sick a couple months...
Does Athearn make a twin hopper now?
I've been cutting the center bay out of their rib-sides & making my own...
In any case-the Bowser car is a pretty early design and noticably smaller than say a Kadee 2-bay.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
0
Athearn does make HO twin's that are available in a 6 pack but not N scale.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:56:42 PM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »
0
I could use some of these. Forgive my ignorance, but whats the difference between these and the Athearn cars? I saw a 6 pack of athearn VGN twins at the LHS, but didnt pick 'em up (was planning to, not enough $$ at the time).

Athearn does not make two bay open hoppers of any sort.

They do make 5 car sets of 3 bay open hoppers.

Mark


Kiasutha

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 113
  • Respect: 0
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
0
Athearn does make HO twin's that are available in a 6 pack but not N scale.
OK,that's what I thought.
I had a lot of the HO rib-sides onces once upon a time...

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
0
Are individual cars going to be available as well, or only the two six-packs?  Six would be a lot for a road that doesn't directly interchange with N&W/VGN.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3837
  • Respect: +1576
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
0
They also list a single-door round-roof boxcar  (class B3) for N&W, on a Micro-Trains body.  Thing is, Micro-trains doesn't make such a body.  Do they know something?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

2-8-8-0

  • Guest
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
0
Could be 3 bays i suppose, I didnt look at them very close. Sorry!

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
0
They also list a single-door round-roof boxcar  (class B3) for N&W, on a Micro-Trains body.  Thing is, Micro-trains doesn't make such a body.  Do they know something?

That's an error - thanks for pointing it out. Should be double door.

B3
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3238.JPG

Mark


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
0
Are individual cars going to be available as well, or only the two six-packs?  Six would be a lot for a road that doesn't directly interchange with N&W/VGN.


Based on past offerings - I doubt it.

Six really isn't that much - it would not be uncommon to see a cut of VGN hoppers on another road (for this reason I am building small fleets of Clinchfield, C&O, and L&N hoppers). But your point is very valid for many modelers. Six just may be too many.

This will probably appeal more to the guys that run long trains and VGN fans.

Unfortunately for me, these are outside my era.

Mark


towl1996

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 818
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +186
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
0
I'd like to get a few of these cars, but don't want all six..., so if anyone out there would like to split the order, just say so. Thanks
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »
0
I'd like to get a few of these cars, but don't want all six..., so if anyone out there would like to split the order, just say so. Thanks

I might go for that


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11872
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
0
I finally got around to taking some pix:









Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19604
  • Respect: +6934
Re: N&WHS announces 6 packs of VIRGINIAN H3 Twin Hoppers
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:49 PM »
0
Off topic, but where the heck are all the CK PRR GLa's?  I never bought any, now I can't find em.