Author Topic: Consisting question  (Read 1092 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Consisting question
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
Bear in mind that I installs 'em, but what goes on inside that little red packet remains a mystery to me...

I've got a bunch of Digitrax decoders installed, and some consist just fine, and others, well... here's my tale:

When I run a locomotive by itself, I try to set the speed tables to reach a comfortable speed at around 40 (out of a possible 126).  This is the speed where it looks fine while watching the train in person, but probably looks a little fast on a video.  (you know the speed I'm talking about.)

Well, when I go to consist it to another engine that meets the same speed table, they end up running like they're only getting 1/3 of the voltage they should be getting. 

I use advanced consisting, where the MU address is set in CV19.  Is there something going on with BEMF or some other cluster of letters and numbers that I should adjust for?  Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Or do I have to go back to wearing a copper arm band when I'm around electronics?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Consisting question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
The key is likely CV57, which Digitrax ships with a default of 6.  That means that BEMF is enabled when the locomotive is not consisted (CV19=0), but not when it is.  To enable BEMF when consisted, CV57 can to be set to 102, which represents hex 66.  You can actually play with the BEMF levels using CV57, if that is what you are into.  A couple of other CVs also adjust BEMF, but I don't know what they do.

The Digitrax decoder manual actually covers this, but it is really hard to find unless you know you are looking for CV57.  I found out about it the same way you are now, by asking the question on a forum.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Consisting question
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  I'll give that a whirl.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net