Author Topic: Sound for an Atlas RS3 Dewitt Rebuild  (Read 1150 times)

CPSD40-2

Sound for an Atlas RS3 Dewitt Rebuild
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »
Hey all - Working on a project engine, an Atlas RS3 Dewitt rebuild.  I have the engine, detail parts, Tiger Valley kit, etc,  But I lack the sound decoder for this.  MRC's drop in decoder for an RS3 coincidentally has the right sound on it, for an EMD 567 prime mover, and it would be a very easy install.  However, I've heard mixed reviews of these decoders, most on the side of them being quite fussy, "forgetting" what they're doing, etc.  Any thoughts here?  Any better quality solutions that don't involve an electronics degree to install?  Thanks!

- Jered

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Sound for an Atlas RS3 Dewitt Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:08 AM »
I have several MRC sound decoders installed in various types of engines.

I've come to the conclusion that I will never again waste my time buying another MRC decoder of any type.  They don't play well when mu'ed to other decoders (C liners, Kato F3s).  They reset at the drop of a hat (Kato E9).  They don't fit well as drop-ins (Kato E9).  They are extremely prone to total failure (C liners and Athearn Challengers and Big-Boys).

I am to the point where sound is not worth dealing with the bad quality of the MRC sound decoders.  In fact, I'm preparing to replace all the MRCs in my Athearn locos with Tsunamis.

As you can see, my very humble opinion is not based on one bad experience but on my experiences with several different decoder models on several different locos.

Again...this represents my very humble opinion.

Dave