Author Topic: AC-12 Puzzle  (Read 1169 times)

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
AC-12 Puzzle
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »
I installed a Digitrax DN163PS in my AC-12. I have a question about throttle/speed response. I get no increase in speed after about 36 on the throttle. I can increase the throttle up to 88 and have no increase in speed. I have not set CV02,06 or 05 yet before asking if that may help. I don't want to mess something up. I run 128 step speed table.
On a positive note the AC-12 operates flawlessly on the new track re-alignment. I love slow speed operation, but this seems unusual.
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Re: AC-12 Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:12 PM »
1. Lube side rods like a good engineer should (RTFM).
2. Run it for days. Then run it again in the opposite direction for weeks. Then run it in the previous direction again for about a month.
3. Then set the kick-strength, and kick-time to 1 and 5 as a start respectively.

For some reason compared to almost all other manufacturers, it needs A LOT of break in time. I kinda feel that the motor doesnt have a lot of low torque, however it's compensated in the gearing. So you get horrible start speeds, decent slow (mid-range) range, and lower top speed overall. Play with the BEMF or Scale Speed Stabilization (http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/introto_bemf_pid.htm).

This should be a good start, took me about two hours to tweak it just right.

The S.

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
Re: AC-12 Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks. I am starting on the process this evening. I did lube the side rods and I am going to turn off the BEMF and set CV's 2-5-6 and turn on the BEMF. and then follow your advice.
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR