Author Topic: LL SW replacement wheels  (Read 3099 times)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
Re: LL SW replacement wheels
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
Yes, I've swapped Atlas GP trucks straight into a GP60 without any problems. The Atlas GP, -2 and AAR trucks are all the same design, but using a different sideframe piece.

Bill_H

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
Ed:
This thread might help. It is a LL SW9-1200 with the NWSL wheels, a DZ123 ( a little bigger than the 125 so the 125 is a walk in the park - relatively speaking), keeping the full cab weight, and adding a cab headlight. I also added the KATO worms and replaced the stock LL motor with an Atlas slow speed motor. Hope it gives you some ideas.

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2007/010707.htm

Best,
Bill
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:23:06 PM by Bill_H »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
OK here is a bit more info:
1. Do Atlas trucks work on LL chassis?
A. Yes, but they sometimes ride loose. The only trucks that are swapable are Attlas standardized two axle trucks for the LL equivalent: Blom M and B, AAR-B, Floating (Atlas).

2 Will LL trucks work on Atlas chassis?
A. Sometimes. The LL trucks tend to fit tight within the Atlas mechinism from my experience. Again, only the standardized two axle trucks are swapable.

3. What about the AAR-A trucks on the LL SW1200?
A. These use totally different gears than the Atlas AAR-A. They also use different gears from the LL AAR-B...

4. Can Atlas wheels fit the SW1200?
A. Yes, but you need a gear puller to adjust the axle points. The points are further out in the LL wheels than the Atlas. You will also need to cut the Atlas gear sleve to make it line up with the LL gears which are offset differently than the Atlas trucks.

5. Can I use the LL gear sleve with the Atlas wheels?
A. No, the LL sleves will be warped because they are heat-applied to the thatched LL wheel axles.

I hope this helps
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Wow, yes, quite a bit.

I think I'll be going NWSL (thanks Mark!).

Bill_H

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
Ed:
You have to be carefull with the NWSL replacement wheelsets. A lot of them had the wobbles, to the point that the original owner of NWSL stopped production. The new owner is aware of this problem, I have no ideas if it is fixed yet. But at least half that I received, and replacements that NWSL sent after the first run, were simply not usable.

NO disrespect meant towards NWSL at all, they are one fine company. The original owner felt that the tolerances he had on the machine that pressed the wheels onto the axles was just not fine enough for N scale, so he stopped production.

Best,
Bill

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
Yeah, I remember about that. Thanks for the warning though.

It can never be easy, can it?