Author Topic: Stripping paint...2 questions.  (Read 1807 times)

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Stripping paint...2 questions.
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
Hello.

The above dash 9 thread made me want a NS one, so i bought a Santa Fe loco and am going to strip it and repaint it. No problems there. But I do have 2 questions.

1) Do the handrails repaint OK? Ive heard sometimes paint dosent like to stick to that sort of plastic.

and

2) around small fiddly parts, like the steps or the horns, will the paint come off easily after a bath in alcohol that light brushing with a soft toothbrush will loosen it? If a bit remains in nooks and crannies in these places, just ignore it and repaint over it? I will use a good primer first, and at least black paint covers all pretty well. I dont mind repainting things, but I dont want to break it in the process.

Thanks, Tim
Just say no to dummy couplers.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
Re: Stripping paint...2 questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
It would be much easier to buy replacement black handrails from Kato for $5 than have to deal with chipping paint.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1078&keywords=NC449W&maxhits=100&go=List+Parts&bool=AND&bool=AND
Aaron Bearden

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:04:25 PM »
O cools, yep. Thats an excellent solution to that!

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
A another option would be to buy some plastic adhesion promoter and paint made for lexan car bodies. It's more expensive ($6 for the adhesion promoter, $5 for 1 color of the flexible paint) than the handrail option.

I've used platic adhesion promoter and it's worked great. The heard from a friend that the flexible paint has done pretty well on it's own, so the two put together might work really well. I've perfer this option because many manufactuers don't keep up a good (or any) supply of parts.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »

Jason

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
It would be much easier to buy replacement black handrails from Kato for $5 than have to deal with chipping paint.

Or make your own scale handrails from wire.  It's not all that hard, esp. if you can strip & re-paint a model, and the difference can be considerable:

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:18:35 PM »
Wow.

Beautiful job on 2591. Before seeing that, I actually had some reservations about how detailed N could be.

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »
I would be willing to "trade" an SP shell for stripping to save an ATSF shell ;D
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
Sorry, it is SP. i was thinking "SP" and my brain made that into "SF" then into "Santa Fe" (its coming from ebay, i dont have it yet) I was gonna get a SF one...then remembered they have different cab roofs.

I cant use the SF ones, they have the gullwing cab which isnt the right one for NS. If you do have an extra SP shell though, I can get a SF one next and trade you shells (dosent matter to me, one works as good as another) if you are in need of a shell. (im going to do 2 -9s for NS...theyll look kind of funny with my C&O H-4s, but i dont care. Its my layout!)

Let me know (and sorry for my stupid!)

EDIT: When it arrives, I am going to strip and repaint it, and also relocate the headlight to its right place. I will see whats involved in adding ditch lights as well. I just need to decide what scheme to use (ordering decals, and am all happy. This is the sort of project I enjoy!)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:02:34 AM by 2-8-8-0 »

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »
I don't really "need" an ATSF, but if you end up getting one for your next loco, just let me know and I would be willing to trade you for an SP.

Kind of a pain for you, but an option if you get a good deal on a ATSF Warbonnet.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
Yep. SP and Santa fe seem to be cheaper than the rest (i have no idea why) but I will keep my eyes open for deals. I wish everyone wasnt out of stock on the undecorated ones=(

Tim