Author Topic: NE Caboose coming from Walthers???  (Read 19439 times)

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: NE Caboose coming from Walthers???
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
They haven't re-released any LL freight cars. I suggest sending an emaiul about the PC one. I'm not in for any as I don;t really remember seeing any.

At least they are doing something. New structures would be nice!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
They were blue up until repainted after 1969, then some did receive the red paint scheme with "NW" lettering.

The blue was from 1966-1970. I'm pretty sure at least one of these ex-P&WV was painted in red hamburger.

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »
Very interesting. I sure hope for some sort of upgrades at that price. I think the last round of those was $11.95 retail with earliest I could find at $8.50 retail. Something better be alot better for a 100% + price increase.

A $25 list could produce a street price in the mid-teens, which would be about twice what I remember them going for.  It's been a while, so it may not be that much more than inflation.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
They were blue up until repainted after 1969, then some did receive the red paint scheme with "NW" lettering.

The blue was from 1966-1970. I'm pretty sure at least one of these ex-P&WV was painted in red hamburger.

If I remember my railroad history correctly, the N&W "blue" was inspired by a planned merger with the C&O that didn't occur, so the N&W subsequently returned to "black."

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
I seem to remember reading that the N&W blue (Pevlar Blue?) resulted from taking over the Wabash, which was using it.   One of the earlier NE cabooses was in the N&W blue scheme, so maybe they want to use red to make it different this time.  I think the WM scheme is also one that they haven't done before, if the schematic can be believed.  The earlier speed caboose had a black roof, and this one looks like it is red.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
I seem to remember reading that the N&W blue (Pevlar Blue?) resulted from taking over the Wabash, which was using it.

You could be right (I'm not an expert), but I think the N&W/Wabash merger occurred back in 1964, a few years before the N&W "blue" came into use.  However, I remember that the F-units that the N&W inherited from the Wabash, which, interestingly, were the few F-units that the N&W ever owned as it dieselized so late, stayed in Wabash blue with N&W lettering.

As far as the planned N&W/C&O merger that didn't occur, I wouldn't be surprised, considering the times and the condition of the industry, if said merger didn't die after witnessing what was going on with the debacle that was Penn Central.

DFF
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:55:00 AM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
I've already got a considerable fleet of the old ones, which I've been gradually glazing, lowering and body mounting.  I don't anticipate purchasing more than one of the new ones, just to represent and support the cause.

If they're amazingly better (all new tooling? On a par with the new Athearn and Atlas offerings? RIIIIGGGHHHHT!) then I might sell off a few of the "home brew" custom paints, to replace with new, but again, the price point is going to be the key.  The old brass Overlands can still be had for about $50, so unless the Walther's is a total bullseye (finer detail on the shell, body mount couplers, lower ride height, dead on paint schemes) I'm still withholding my enthusiasm.

Also, if I remember correctly, Life Like had sold off the freight car line to Industrial Rail before the Walthers take over.  I don't know what became of it after that.  I don't think it went to Atlas with the IR O scale line.  It may have been lost to the mists of time.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:02:25 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »

If I remember my railroad history correctly, the N&W "blue" was inspired by a planned merger with the C&O that didn't occur, so the N&W subsequently returned to "black."

DFF

Nah. More Wabash than anything. The president of N&W at that time was Pevlar, and he came up from Wabash. The blue ended about the time he moved on.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:59:01 AM by NandW »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
If you look at the paint schemes on the Walther's website, they've got the PC one all wrong... it shows the PENN CENTRAL off center, and the lettering in black.  (The WM and Conrail lettering is shown in black too... I'm assuming that's just a diagram, not the actual colors)

This will be a wait and see product for me.  At least until the pre-production photos turn up.

Lee

The black versus white thing is probably related to ease of diagramming...  Note the COTS on these are all inverted (black outline and text on white background).

I don't have any of the old ones so I'm in for a Conrail (duh!).

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is the old LL car with a few upgrades:
Proper trucks (they use Atlas trucks)
Window glass
Interior detail?
Possibly finer hand rails
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
Found the pic - N&W 500832 (exP&WV) was definately painted red with hamburger.

(sounds like an order at some fast food joint!)

So the Ex-P&WV cabs saw three N&W schemes.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:27:39 PM by NandW »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
I do want to add that Walthers doing anything new in N scale is encouraging because it looked for a little while there like they were checking out of the N scale market altogether.

Yes, it's probably a revamp of old tooling.  But that's OK.  It's better than NO tooling.  And if it turns out to be a turd, well then, we just ping TrainCat to make it in brass!

It's amazing how grumpy we've all gotten, myself included, such that we poo-poo so many of these pre-announcements.  I know I need to lighten up too.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »
If you look at the paint schemes on the Walther's website, they've got the PC one all wrong... it shows the PENN CENTRAL off center, and the lettering in black.  (The WM and Conrail lettering is shown in black too... I'm assuming that's just a diagram, not the actual colors)

This will be a wait and see product for me.  At least until the pre-production photos turn up.

Lee

The black versus white thing is probably related to ease of diagramming...  Note the COTS on these are all inverted (black outline and text on white background).

I don't have any of the old ones so I'm in for a Conrail (duh!).

Hah! I just looked at the artwork on the N&W one - black lettering on red lol. If it makes it to production that will be one major fup up.

The thing with Walthers is - do they ever even show pre-production pix?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »
I'm in "Wait and See" mode, not because I'm being a turd, but more because I already have a fleet of the old ones.  I don't "need" to spend $18 to $25 per car, especially for the same old same old, because I already have a bunch.  If they represent a marked improvement, then I'll decide whether I need to spend the money or not.  Admittedly, the Athearn Bay Window I got significantly raised the bar on what I'm willing to spend on a good looking caboose.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
I am wait and see on all Walthers rolling stock or locos. I don't need anymore of the N&W NE cabs as these didnt even run on the N&W VA or WV lines until the late 1970s.

But ... if they come with window glass, ride a bit lower, new handrails, and decent paint I may be down for an upgrade - expecially on the WM version.

Mark