Author Topic: F units fan replacements  (Read 1776 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
F units fan replacements
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
With all the IM & Kato F units out there, has anyone done fan blade replacements for them? I know there are etched grill sets and super-sized sets of grab iron replacements but no fan blades. (BTW, NP modelers need grills for their B units with the 'Northern Pacific' cut-outs)

That also begs to ask, why no detail sets for the switchers, for LL SWs and the Kato NW2 (front and top screens)? The LL GP18/20 (grills and fans)? And replacement grills for all of Atlas's GP power (GP7, 9, 30, 35, 38, 38-2, 40, 40-2...)? Fans/grills for the Atlas, Kato, and LL RS and FA units? The LL C424/425 and Atlas C6XX? Kato SD40/40-2/45 and Atlas SD50/60 and LL GP60? Dynamic brake grills would be nice too. I'm sure I'm missing someone else's favorite loco.

And maybe fans and grills in one etching set for each loco, or even two types (like GP30 & 35) with some variety pieces for different phases?

I know this stuff isn't sexy, but it seems kinda hit or miss on what we get. Oh, how about loco step tread replacements?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: F units fan replacements
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
I really wish someone did cast metal or resin caps/buttons for those fans.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »
Couldn't these be made to work?

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=BQMBBA4PDgIDBxQUEBEcHA8MAgACAwUFCQkTEQAA&t=main.red.htm&storeid=1&cols=1&categories=02002-00013&&c=detail.red.htm&t=main.red.htm&itemid=87

Perhaps you could modify them by making a simple cup-shaped die, and gently pressing the grille into it with a rounded tool like a small screwdriver handle or some such.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=BQMBBA4PDgIDBxQUEBEcHA8MAgACAwUFCQkTEQAA&t=main.red.htm&storeid=1&cols=1&categories=02002-00013&&c=detail.red.htm&t=main.red.htm&itemid=87

Perhaps you could modify them by making a simple cup-shaped die, and gently pressing the grille into it with a rounded tool like a small screwdriver handle or some such.

Those are incorrect for GP-7/9's as well as E/F units. Almost the right size but wrong style. 1st Gen EMD and E/F-Units shared a spoke style "cover" versus 2nd Gen EMD which is shown in the BLMA picture. It is good for 2nd Gen GP-30's (or so) and up.

I'd be all for fan replacements for 1st EMD/F units, as well as SW/NW stuff, and I'd love to see complete step replacements for 1st/2nd gen EMD items....

The S.

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »

Those are incorrect for GP-7/9's as well as E/F units. Almost the right size but wrong style. 1st Gen EMD and E/F-Units shared a spoke style "cover" versus 2nd Gen EMD which is shown in the BLMA picture. It is good for 2nd Gen GP-30's (or so) and up.

I'd be all for fan replacements for 1st EMD/F units, as well as SW/NW stuff, and I'd love to see complete step replacements for 1st/2nd gen EMD items....

The S.

I second all of them...especially the steps.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »

I would think that would lessen the diameter of the grill, or cause it to fold like a taco shell (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration).

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
With the fans being somewhat conical, you'd need to cut some wedges out to prevent the folding that Bryan describes.

Personally, I throw on a bit of weathering and put mine to work.  For the high res detailing like this, I'd only fool with that on a larger scale.  But that's what makes me happy.  Your results may vary.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:19:19 AM »
The "button" in the center of the fan grille is not hard. Just dab a dot of thick / gap filling CA in the center and let it dry. then paint over it.
Tony Hines

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
The "button" in the center of the fan grille is not hard. Just dab a dot of thick / gap filling CA in the center and let it dry. then paint over it.

MV Lenses work too.

The S.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »
Let's see some pics, Tim.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
Let's see some pics, Tim.

I don't have those units anymore (Spectrum & Kato) I replaced them with IM units, sorry man!

The S.

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 03:48:18 AM »
I have tried pressing various fans over cones I turned but to date nothing has worked. You would need an exceedingly ductile metal to achieve the proper dimensions. As for steps, a lot of them can be made by using the finest (.004~.005 I think) holed mesh that KnS makes. CHeck Ngineering for availability of other mesh sizes. For cabeese, Canadian production and other protos with rectangular mesh steps you are probably dealing with etching your own. I'm trying to do just that but like all of my etching it either destroys itself or just  sucks.

Andrew Hutchinson

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
As far as the steps go, I'd prefer top have them pre-etched, with fold-overs to glue them in place. Traincat's excellent at creating such items.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
As far as the steps go, I'd prefer top have them pre-etched, with fold-overs to glue them in place. Traincat's excellent at creating such items.

Survey says, "DING DONG!". I am in favor of the same. About the only thing left would be prefab handrails for Atlas and Kato peices and we'd truly be a scale model.

The S.