Author Topic: BLMA Trucks  (Read 7238 times)

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
BLMA Trucks
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »
I have not seen any threads in regards to the new BLMA trucks yet, so I thought I'd start one.  First, these are fantastic looking trucks.  The side frames are very well done and the wheels are excellent.  They roll very freely, and they help to lower a car's ride height some.  Also, the BLMA axles are thinner than the FVM axles, which is a bonus. I do have a couple of questions however.  Since these do not come with king pins, what has everyone been using?  I used MTL ones, but the fit was tight and restricted the movement of the truck.  I have not had a chance to get back to my workbench, but MLT Grease 'em or filing out the center of the truck may help.  I may try an Atlas kingpin, but I think it will be sloppy since the hole in an Atlas truck is smaller than an MTL one.  What about body mount couplers?  I tried a set of MTL 2004's (underslung), and these worked out well.  However, I did have an issue with the axle hitting the mounting screw.  I tried these on an Atlas Evans boxcar, and when I used the body mount hole closest to the end of the car, it did not hit the screw.  The drawback of using this hole is the coupler sticks out further and the coupler box restricts the turning of the truck a little more.  I may try counter sinking the screw or gluing on the coupler box using the hole closest to the middle of the car, I am not sure yet.  Any thoughts you all can share are appreciated. 

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: BLMA Trucks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »
Thanks for the support Jeff!

The models come without the bolster pin because although they seem standard, there are many slight variations on the overall diameter from the dozens of different freight car manufacturers over the years.  As for the Micro-Trains pin, oddly, I just tested our 100-Ton truck with a Micro-Trains gondola and the pin fit perfect.  Please note that if the pin is pushed in with considerable force, that tension might prevent proper swing-motion.  If loosening the bolster pin doesn't work, a small, round needle file can open up the truck bolster area in no time.

We will be making a video on lowering cars with the new trucks, and we'll post many photos on our website in due time.  Thanks again for the support!

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
These
seemed to sneak into my LHS (Trainmaster) while I was distracted. Don't have project on the bench right now but I'm trying to come up with one very soon.  The trucks looked awesome in the package...
Support fine modeling

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
... The trucks looked awesome in the package...

Got some with my last crac...um order.

I have had no time to 'unbox' but they look excellent.

I will put them on something this weekend.

Q: Mr. Martyn ....bulk packs  ?

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »
I just stuck them on a Walthers Thrall wellcar set I shortened to 40' wells, I used the stock Walthers pins with no issues and these roll as great as FVM wheels and look great also.

Craig Martyn

• Crew
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »
Bulk packs are definitely a possibility.  As with every new product segment, a little market testing is needed to understand demand...

If you've used them, let's see PHOTOS!   ;)
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

stuntman

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
 I put them on a Maxi-stack that I kitbashed. The couplers are too low now..... I think I'll have to put underslung couplers on to get everything to line up again.   Ride height sure looks good though! :)

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
Matching
couplers to compensate for improved ride height could be an excellent next project...
Support fine modeling

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »

Is that a pre-production shot or is the bearing adaptor/pedestal roof detail that soft on the production trucks?

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
Craig, any more TopGons coming????

inkaneer

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
Matching
couplers to compensate for improved ride height could be an excellent next project...

Yeah, that's what kills me.  50 years into N gauge as a modeling scale and we are still battling trainset compromises that are so interrelatd that you just can't fix one without having to fix or adjust others.  And what seemed like a simple project gets more and more complicated and more and more expensive.  I'm wondering if it is really worth it.  That, I know, is a question each of us has to answer for themselves but market wise I would think there is a tipping point where sufficient numbers of people say enough is enough and the demand and supply curves fail to coincide above the cost point.  Don't get me wrong, the BLMA trucks as well as the TopGons are great products and I like them.  And while I have about ten of the TopGons so far I probably will not buy more than a total of a dozen over all to mix in with my NS double tubs.  A unit train of TopGons that is long enough to be considered worthy of being on an Ntrak layout, as much as I would like to have one, is just not within my budget.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
I'll have to try these out.  I have thirty MT 3 bay Ortner Hoppers that ride like they are on stilts.  By using these and finding a way to body mount some couplers, I may be able to improve the ride height issue.  I'm thinking z scale couplers for body mounting.  I may just have to CA them to the running board bottoms.

Craig, count me in for bulk packs!

Eric

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
A unit train of TopGons that is long enough to be considered worthy of being on an Ntrak layout, as much as I would like to have one, is just not within my budget.

I usually solve that problem by running the good stuff up front instead of mixing.

Craig Martyn

• Crew
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
There is a thread on Trainboard with the new trucks installed on a Micro-Trains tank car:

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=119285

The photo above was pre-production; however, keep in mind the photo is easily 10X the actual truck size and the components were not exaggerated to make them visible.

Here is our PRODUCTION 100-Ton truck under our PS-4000:   (Note the proper wheel base, ASF Ride Control design, and front/back wheel contour per the prototype)

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
She is begging for z scale couplers, looks nice.